Web Showcase

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development (archive)' started by kenyabob, Dec 2, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

Is there a site out there that showcases cool and new sites, things to get peoples minds going about design and what not. a site similar to flashkits showcase of best flash usage?

2. macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

there's Kaliber 10000 ...although they're a little too "designey" for me.

that probably doesn't make any sense, but in my head i know just what i mean.

3. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i wouldn't trust any site that relies on frames.

4. macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

5. macrumors 65816

tomf87

Can you explain why?

I had one of our web designers say something similar, and not being a web designer, I have no idea why he thinks that..

Tom

6. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Frames are a deprecated mode of page design among designers who wish to enhance accessibility, usability, search engine optimization, page bookmarking/linking, document management, to name a few.

They have certain advantages, but there are means of providing the same or similar functionality without having framesets (PHP/server-side includes, for example).

7. macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

in a nutshell, frames violate the Keep It Simple, Stupid principle. which, in the world of web design, actually has a significant effect by way of site performance & rankings.

8. macrumors regular

can you provide some sample sites that do this (or just give such functionality without using frames)? i am personally so kludgy with design that unless i see a sample i won't get this (call it imagination-challenged).

9. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Like I said above, it usually requires a server side technology to combine pieces of pages to create the final page.

For instance, on my website I divvy up the page into 4 parts: header, menu, content and footer. My pages go out and assemble themselves from these parts.

I have one header file, one menu file and one footer file that all get re-used on almost every page, giving me one of the functionalities of frames (re-usable content) without a frameset.

10. macrumors newbie

KISS

I'd agree. Keep the site intuitive - look no further than the Mac OS GUI for inspiration!

11. macrumors 6502

Re: Web Showcase

They usually have some nifty sites here:

http://www.coolhomepages.com/

12. macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

most people know about this one, but it hasn't been listed here

CSS Zen Garden