Web site design and hosting

Discussion in 'Community' started by CompUser, Aug 9, 2005.

1. CompUser Guest

I'm looking for a little company to have after being inspired by all the other teenagers here. I would like to start a little web site design company to make websites for small businesses in my town. My mom says there are often articles in the paper about kids who do this.

- Where is a good place to register/buy a domain

- Is it hard? Do I have to learn HTML or can I use a program like Dreamweaver?

- After I design a site for a company, should I use a web hosting comapny to host the site or should I buy another mac :)):) on ebay)

-If I should use a hosting company how to I upload the site to the space I have on the company's server?

- If I host from a mac can I do that over a cable modem, how good of a mac do I need, what software do I need, etc

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    I wouldn't suggest venturing out into doing sites for businesses if you're this basic.

Even in Dreamweaver you need to know basic html and css. Hosting is usually done by www.asmallorange.com 'round these parts.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    You absolutely do not want to run website hosting from your Mac on a home broadband setup. Besides you probably dont have a static IP address, you're gonna get blacklisted right away for serving emails from a residential Cable/DSL address, and it probably would contravene your ISP's terms of use.

What Daveway says: Learn first. Sell your services later.
    Find a church or sports team or non-profit club or org. that needs a website for free and will be patient while you learn.

Kinda like saying - "I'm going to set up an airline - I know about stewardesses and engines, but do I really need BOTH of these wing things or not?" :D
  4. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    I usually recommend GoDaddy for domain registration.

I think it's possible to use Dreamweaver without knowing HTML, but don't depend on the software. I personally like using the split view to view both the HTML code and design. Nonetheless, as said here, learn the basics of HTML so you'll understand what all that code means. Heck I first started building websites in high school by hand coding in Notepad, then I was introduced to Dreamweaver. I would search Google for web design tutorials, look into some books, or even take a class in school.

Use a web hosting company.

Dreamweaver has a built FTP utility that you can use to transfer the appropriate files to the remote server. You just need to have the necessary information inputed regarding the remote server. There's also other 3rd party FTP apps out there. It's not that hard.

Seems like you want to do a lot, good for you. But first learn what you're getting into. You don't want to dive into something and have no idea what your doing. Course you'll always be learning new things, but just learn enough - and maybe a lil more - to get you started.

Best of luck to you CompUser! If you have further questions post 'em. Also check out the Web Design forum here at MR. There are others that are in a similar boat as you.
  5. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    As a young'n who has gotten into the web design world, I suggest you know 3 things (let's call them 'the pillars of strength' to be extra cheesy):
    • HTML
      • For simple coding.
    • CSS
      • For design.
    • PHP
      • For dynamic content.

While you can probably get by with only HTML and CSS, having the third pillar of strength will help a lot. Dynamic sites are in demand, nowdays.

HTML is cake to learn.

CSS is easy to learn, but takes some experience to master. You'll find that some browsers don't recognize certain things, and some browsers display the same code completely different. You'll also find that Internet Explorer is a CSS designer's worst nightmare :).

PHP is a bit harder. If you have programming experience, it shouldn't be too bad. But if you have never programmed before, you will have quite a bit to learn. I started learning PHP when I had already learned the basics of C++, Java, and VB, so it came pretty quickly to me.

Let the pillars of strength be your base for success. :)