Web site performance sites???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rdowns, Feb 1, 2004.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I seem to recall a few sites that will allow you to enter a web site and return some benchmarks on performance and HTML code. Can't find them now. I have web affiliates that tell me my company's site has problems and my IT dept. tells me everything is fine or we'll look into it. Any suggestions?

2. zim macrumors 65816

zim

You can check your code with a w3c validator http://validator.w3.org/

Although you will not get benchmarks, you will at least be able to see if there are validation errors, possibly causing some browsers to misinterpret the mark up. There is also a css validator, both allow you to either upload a file for validation or send a URI.

I don't know of any sites that do benchmarks, you could google the subject. You should be able to determine the efficiency of your site based on what is on it. Are there a lot of graphics? how big? are you using xhtml and css to minimize markup? asking and answering these questions should help you optimize your site. I would also recommend Jeffery Zeldman's Designing with Web Standards, there are a lot of optimization techniques listed in the book.

Also look into the hardware that the site is hosted on. Your issue could lie in the hardware rather then the site.