Web Through Wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by semperfimarine2, Apr 2, 2007.

1. semperfimarine2 macrumors regular

semperfimarine2

will the internet on the iPhone be used by wifi or a cingular data plan? i am thinking it will be through wifi considering there is a signal strentgh for the wireless internet on the iPhone. look at the top left where the cingular sign is and the signal for the reception for the phone calls, there is the wireless internet signal there.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

what do all you guys think?

2. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Apple has said it will have both connection options - when around a wifi hotspot you will connect via wifi. When away from a hotspot you would connect using the data plan.

3. cyclone84 macrumors regular

4. semperfimarine2 thread starter macrumors regular

semperfimarine2

ok well thanks for getting that clear with me, must have missed that in the keynote, probably to busy drooling over the phone:eek:

5. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

What I want to know is whether a data plan is required or if you can just use the features that don't require it, and then use the data plan dependant features in wifi rich areas.

6. cyclone84 macrumors regular

I believe so. I plan on getting the iPhone and using the "internet/email" type features in wifi areas, and not purchase the data plan...at least not at first.

7. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Yeah that is what I want to do. Most of the places around here (my entire neighborhood basically, and all the malls etc) have WiFi now and I think it would be pointless to pay like $30 or $40 more a month for data when I'm not a business man, and am rarely "on the road" in a situation where I would need to check my email/etc. I really just want it for the phone/iPod. Anyway, maybe Apple/Cingular will setup a special plan just for the iPhone. Either way, we'll see. :)

On another note, I wonder how hard it is going to be to get one the first week.

8. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

What I want to know is if the iPhone will have a setting to disable all inbound and outbound data (non-texting) communication to the cellphone carrier. I want to see the "settings" pane and see the customizability of the phone.

9. jesteraver macrumors 6502

I cant wait for a wimax chip *drools* here in Canada most of the top service providers have a wireless internet service thats pre-wimax pretty much.

Too bad it be bad for the cellphone battery :(