Webcam for chat on Yahoo/MSN

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macq, Sep 12, 2004.

1. macq macrumors newbie

Oceans apart, my parents are planning to chat with me and see me through webcam. They are on PC while I'm using iMac 10.2.8.
    We've been chatting on Yahoo and more often on MSN.To achieve the video goal what do I need to do?
    Will a Logitech webcam do?
    Any help will be appreciated. :)

2. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

MSN for MAC does not support a webcam.

3. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

4. Gee macrumors 65816

MSN for Mac doesn't support video but Yahoo does. A logitech camera will be fine, but make sure it's a Mac compatible one (some of the cheaper variants only work with a PC) - you can find a list of them on the logitech site. Of course, if you really want to push the boat out, a brand spanking shiny new Apple iSight will work with Yahoo messenger as well....

5. kant macrumors 6502

That's a question I've been meaning to ask: What, besides the Apple logo and the cool look, distinguishes the iSight from the much less expensive logitechs?

6. Gee macrumors 65816

That is a good question. The iSight has (a little slow) autofocus and a decent lens, which I'm not sure whether you get on logitech cameras. The iSight also I assume supports higher frame rates, as it connects via firewire rather than usb. And it does look a mile cooler than the logitech versions.

Having said that, on a webcam chat, who could tell?

7. macq thread starter macrumors newbie

8. macq thread starter macrumors newbie

now internet connection...

I just surfed the net as Gee advised and found out that iSight needs broadband connection while mine's dialup.Coundn't get the info if Logiteck requires broadband or dialup is ok.
    Do you have any idea Gee?
    I really like the firewire connection and am enjoying its higher speed when I'm using it for iMovie.but, broadband... :confused:

Thanks Gee for any info.

9. Gee macrumors 65816

Dial-up is OK for logitech cameras, and in actual fact an iSight works with dialup as well using Yahoo messenger - it's only when you start using it with iChat that it requires broadband because iChat does audio and video at the same time....

However, if you and the people you're talking to over chat aren't planning on getting broadband anytime soon, then an iSight is probably an overkill, especially considering the price.