Webcam issues with Yahoo!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by answer348, Jun 21, 2005.

1. answer348 macrumors member

Jul 25, 2004
    I'm trying to webcam chat with my girlfriend via Yahoo! messenger, and we can't get more than about 0.8 frames per second. What could be causing this slow-down?

We are both using the logitech quickcam zoom, mine on Mac and hers on PC.

2. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    I used to use yahoo for video and got the same thing. Its because the mac version of yahoo (last time I checked) does not support the SUPER video thing yahoo talks about. Use AIM.
  3. answer348 thread starter macrumors member

Jul 25, 2004
    I would use iChat, but even with the iChatUSBcam demo program, iChat will not recognize my camera. Maybe I should just find the cheapest firewire camera I can.
  4. anubis macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2003
    I'm actually pretty sure that Mac Yahoo does support the Super webcam thing on Yahoo. But even with the Super webcam, that sounds about right. (Regular webcam mode maybe 1 frame every 2 seconds. Super webcam mode 1 frame every second with slightly higher resolution). It's just yahoo sucks when it comes to webcams, that's all.
  5. answer348 thread starter macrumors member

Jul 25, 2004
    If Yahoo is so bad, then is there any other program I can use to webcam chat with someone on a PC if I have a Mac?
  6. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    You're not the only one with video problems. I can't get iChat to work even between me and another mac user on iChat. =\