webcam? mac newbie

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vixy, Aug 10, 2005.

1. vixy macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2005
    Hi guys,

This might be a really stupid question but bear with me i'm a mac newbie lol. I've recently got myself an ibook and i love it but one thing i was interested in was is it possible to attach a webcam i have by usb and use it? Ir can only the isight cams be used? If I can does anyone know what software i would have to use?

Thank you!
  2. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2005
    On an island in Maine
    This is one of my personal pet peeves with Apple. iChat is only compatible with Firewire Web cams. If you look around at Firewire Web cams, you will see that there are actually very few of them and most of them cost about as much as an iSight. The PC world can get a USB Webcam for $15 and we're stuck paying $125 for ours. AIM and MSN Messenger for Mac can't do video chat. I think Yahoo Messenger does.

There is a little shareware app called iChatUSBCam that is supposed to add this funcitionality to iChat. I haven't used it myself, but a few USB Webcam companies actually include it with their Webcams. However, with this software you still have to get a webcam which OS X will recognize, which limits the choices. Their Web site has a list of compatible cameras.

Otherwise, if you have a Digital firewire camcorder, you can use that.
  3. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    Yeah... It does kinda stink. But then again, I just use my digital video camera if I absolutely need a webcam.
  4. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    i said that at first , DV cam will do the job ok but once i got my iSight i never looked back - it just ....... works

maybe when apple go Intel we might see more support for USB Webby cams
  5. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2005
  6. persianpunisher macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2005
    Wait, so MSN for mac doesnt allow Video chat?? WTF??? IS there any way to get video and use MSN in a mac via 3rd party software?
  7. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2005
    Yes it does not support video chat.EVeryone knows that.U can probally try Mercury Messenger.I've tried it but it runs slow (i've no idea if it runs slow on all systems or wht, give it a try)...thats the only app i know that supports webcam for MSN...of course if u have .mac, or if you don't u can use iChat..but that's not MSN...
  8. vixy thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2005
    aww that sucks :(

is there any software though that will take pictured from a webcam? not for video chatting. like i have a program called conquercam on my desktop that will take still images from the cam?

i heard the beta of amsn does webcam on msn though?