Webcam Questions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by answer348, Apr 2, 2005.

1. answer348 macrumors member

Jul 25, 2004
    I have a couple of questions regarding Macs and webcams:

1. I need a webcam for my powerbook, but I don't want to spend the money for an iSight, what alternatives do I have?

2. I want to be able to use this webcam with my girlfriend who has a pc. Will there be problems with having a pc webcam connecting to a mac webcam? What kind of software do we need to make this work?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    The link has some extras for enabling USB webcams on the Mac to be used with such things as iChat. And if you GF is using the latest AIM, I believe it works just fine. You can also use Yahoo messanger to do video chats, even one way video with Yahoo. I do suggest the iSight, its a very nice camera, and if you are still in college, you should be able to get a discount on it.
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    the iSight is great, but any firewire webcam should work just fine

iChat AV will work with the latest AIM for video chats, Yahoo supports Video only chats, so those really are your only options in that area
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Not to hijack your thread, but are there other alternatives? I don't have AOL, and I don't have a Yahoo Messenger account either. I don't know anyone who does.

Could I use MSN Messenger or ICQ, or just use Adium and an iSight for video conferencing? Sorry if this sounds like a stooopid question. I'm not much of an instant messaging guy.
  5. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005