Webcam, sound card? and scanner for iMac G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Willy S, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Willy S macrumors 6502

1. Do I need a usb sound card to be able to connect my Creative 5.1 surround system or can I get a digital optical cable with 5 inputs? :confused:

2. My Panasonic G-120 camcorder, webcam feature doesn´t seem to work with Macs. So I guesss I need a webcam; what is the best buy?

3. Scanner. I don´t know anyting about scanners, but my wife needs one mac compatitble that scans texts and graphics FAST. We had a Printer/Scanner and the driver that came with it sucks with the iMac...and it is slooooow. She won´t be scanning any films, so a *normal* resolution is fine.

Please suggest what is best to buy. I´m a bit on a budget so I´m looking for the best price/quality ratio.

Thanks!

2. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

3. iGary Guest

iGary

1. I don't know.

2. iSight - believe me. It fits right nicely on the top of the iMac with a magnet.

3. I like the Canon lide scanners for average home use. No muss no fuss.

4. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the iSight tip. When I was searching info about iSight I noticed that I could just hook my camcorder through the firewire and use it as a webcam with excellent quality!

So now I only need to find a fast scanner and some solution for my surround system. :)

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm not really if the iMac G5 has an optical output. If it does, you only need one cable to hook up your surround sound system. All 5 channels get carried on the same (digital) optical cable.

EDIT: I just checked Apple's webpage, and yes, the iMac G5 (current generation anyway) has an optical output. It looks like it's got a mini TOSlink connector as the optical output seems to be combined with the headphone jack. You most likely need a cable with a mini TOS connector on one end, and a regular TOS connector on the other. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

iirc the rev. a imac g5 didnt have the surround out of teh rev b models, so you'd probably need a usb sound card.

7. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm ok!

What external usb sound card do you suggest? Creative Audigy 2 isn´t supported? :confused:

8. RJP31484 macrumors regular

The rev B's DEF. DO have an optical out.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

canon 8400F scanner is doing a good job for me if you're still looking....it has slide and some film scanning features if you need that