Webcam - which one to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chicagobill, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Chicagobill macrumors newbie

Nov 29, 2005
    I'm interested in buying a webcam for my g4 ibook. I don't need anything fancy, just something w/ a clear picture and good sound. Installation should be painless as well. I'd like to spend no more than $75 and am not interested in isight since I've heard many horror stories about it.

Can anyone suggest some webcams they're happy w/ and that will work well w/ my ibook?

many thanks in advance!
  2. verozov macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    if you want to use iChat make sure the webcam you get is firewire... i made that mistake...

iSights are always nice but probably out of your price range
  3. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I know plenty of people with iSights (myself included) and no one has a problem with them. I'm sorry I had to put that in there but I hate the way people say stuff like this with no way to back their claims up, and all it ends up doing is putting people off who have the money to buy a nice bit of hardware.

Anyway to answer your question have a look here: they have a
    list of USB webcams that will work.

Personally I suggest saving up and buying an iSight!
  4. Crikey macrumors 6502

Jan 14, 2004
    Spencer's Butte, Oregon
    I read a magazine review in which the iSight was regarded as the runaway winner due to its advantages in image quality, resolution, and the smoother video from its faster frame rates. The only vice mentioned was it cost more. This was some time ago, though.

Good luck!