Webcam with iSight to @hotmail contacts...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smwatson, Oct 18, 2005.

1. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Im about to switch to the new 20" iMac G5 as i have been looking forward to macs for a while now. The iMac especially appeals to me because of the built in iSight. On my Windows PC that i use at the moment using my webcam with my friends over MSN is one of the things i do the most. I would love to be able to do this on my new mac with the isight. I was ondering which was the best MSN messenger alternative that allows video chat with the iSight. Ive heard of Mercury and aMSN but neither look very good from what ive seen and was wondering if there were better alternatives.

I was also wondering whther Star Wars: Battlefront is any good? And if not which is the best shooter on the mac. (Wrong forum i know sorry)

2. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

The ideal solution would be to get your friends to buy macs and use ichat. However, this is usually a bit unrealistic. The other alternative it to get your friends to use AIM for video stuff. That should work with iChat (although I've never tried it myself). As far as the standard text-based IM-ing goes, I'd try Adium. That's always worked best for me. MSN for mac is a horrible program.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

At present, only iChat and Yahoo IM on the Mac supports iSight video, and only through the AIM, Bonjour (the local-network-only protocol,) or Jabber protocols on iChat, and Yahoo on YIM

Although recent reports confirm that Yahoo and MSN will allow their IM networks to interoperate soon. Maybe when that upgrade is out, you'll be able to video chat from Yahoo on Mac to MSN on Windows.

4. nicorojas macrumors member

mercury messenger is the way to go

As I'm not from the States, all of my friends are on msn. Nobody but US people uses AOL.

Yahoo Messenger works, but it is painfully slow in Mac-PC communications. The best alternative is Mercury, even though you cannot use it for audio chat, just for the webcam. It's not the best quality, but it just works.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I play Star Wars: Battlefront a lot. I didn't like it at first but eventually liked it more. My sound settings are messed up in the beginning. I think Unreal 2004 is the best shootup on the Mac.

6. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Thanks guys. So does anyone have any idea when the yahoo update will be coming because i know this sounds stupid but chatting to my friends on webcam on my Windows PC is pretty much the only thing i do right now.

Thanks aswell for the Star Wars: Battlefront tip. Ive got a shortlist of 5 games but im only looking to buy 3 so if anyone can help then thanks:

Star Wars Battlefront
    Homeworld 2
    UT: 2004
    Sim City 4
    Sims 2

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why is aMSN bad?

8. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

I've seen somebody video chat with somebody in Europe through Mercury. It looked pretty good considering it was MSN. Nothing like iChat, but it is possible. I use Mercury, though not with video. It does what it is supposed to do, plus I play tic tac toe. :)

9. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

the simple answer for all this is NO...

10. nicorojas macrumors member

I stop using aMSN last year, because it lacked webcam support. Then I stop following its development. Today, after reading the posts on this thread I looked for it and give it a try. It's great, the webcam support works for me better than mercury and the application do not waste so much system resources. :cool:

I guess I will be sticking to aMSN for a while. :rolleyes:

11. LifeIsCheap macrumors regular

3 Way?

Will aMSN or any other app allow me to have a 3 way chat between my sister (Mac user) and my Dad (afraid to move off PC user)?