Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimmyB248

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Hey there I need to buy a webcam as soon as possible that is ideally quite cheap. Any ideas which ones work with Macs? None of them really say, just says you need Windows, but is there a chance they'll work anyway? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JimmyB248

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
It's not actually for me, it's for a set designer who needs to be able to use a webcam on her old Powerbook or iBook (don't know which) over Skype. Any ideas?

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
I downloaded 'macam' which is an application Skype recommends you install. I then had to do something involving it and quicktime. Skype provides simple to follow instructions.

Anyway, it gives third party webcam support. I went out and got a logitech quickcam express plus and it works just fine.
(12 inch powerbook btw)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Skype has a couple of recommended webcams but there is a Sourceforge project which lists others.

iSight is quite a bit better than others I've seen but Logitech still offers the QuickCam Pro 4000 for Macs.

JimmyB248

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Ok I got myself a Philips SPC 700NC, and it works great on a PC. I've installed Macam which worked with another webcam, and it recognises the Philips, but the video is yellow. Any ideas?

JimmyB248

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
If anybody has got any ideas I would greatly appreciate it, drivers possibly? Something wrong with Macam? It's a bit of an emergency so any help as soon as possible would brilliant thanks.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
webcam teaker or something like that

I don't remeber right know,also I am far from my Mac right now, but do a google search or in downloads.com for mac osx webcam software, there is one that allows yuo to adjust all the video features from your webcam, to modify the brightness/contrat, invert, change colors, etc...

Once I return to my Mac I'll forward more details of it....If I'm not wrong it's not expensive 10-20 $.

IT'S TWEAKER....
________
BMW Rennsport

Last edited:

JimmyB248

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
The problem is not that it just needs a little adjustment though, it's that for some reason all that's being picked up is different shades of yellow. There is no Red, no Green, No Blue, No Black or white. Just yellow, so it's something wrong with the driver or something rather than the video settings itself. Thanks for the reply though.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Ilumination...

I Have No Clue About The Driver, But In Order To Discard It As A Possible Root Cause Check On The Manufacturer's Support Web.
No Offense, But What Type Of Illumination You Have For Your Webcam?? Is It A Yellow Bulb Or Is It Daylight?
Does It Works Fine In Other Place Or Computer?
________
Henry Centennial Library

Last edited:

JimmyB248

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
It's daylight, works absolutely fine on the PC next to it, and it's not the lighting, there are literally no other channels coming through. Just yellow entirely. Completely unusable, must be a problem with the drivers as the webcam itself is fine and the Mac can handle other webcams fine.

Anybody had any experience with Macam before? Ever had any problems?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.