Webcams that work with Skype on a Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JimmyB248, Nov 16, 2006.

1. JimmyB248 macrumors regular

Hey there I need to buy a webcam as soon as possible that is ideally quite cheap. Any ideas which ones work with Macs? None of them really say, just says you need Windows, but is there a chance they'll work anyway? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Anything wrong with the built-in iSight in your MBP?

B

3. JimmyB248 thread starter macrumors regular

It's not actually for me, it's for a set designer who needs to be able to use a webcam on her old Powerbook or iBook (don't know which) over Skype. Any ideas?

4. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

I downloaded 'macam' which is an application Skype recommends you install. I then had to do something involving it and quicktime. Skype provides simple to follow instructions.

Anyway, it gives third party webcam support. I went out and got a logitech quickcam express plus and it works just fine.
    (12 inch powerbook btw)

5. JimmyB248 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot for you're help, I'll give that a try.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Skype has a couple of recommended webcams but there is a Sourceforge project which lists others.

iSight is quite a bit better than others I've seen but Logitech still offers the QuickCam Pro 4000 for Macs.

7. JimmyB248 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I got myself a Philips SPC 700NC, and it works great on a PC. I've installed Macam which worked with another webcam, and it recognises the Philips, but the video is yellow. Any ideas?

8. JimmyB248 thread starter macrumors regular

If anybody has got any ideas I would greatly appreciate it, drivers possibly? Something wrong with Macam? It's a bit of an emergency so any help as soon as possible would brilliant thanks.

9. McGiord, Nov 17, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

webcam teaker or something like that

I don't remeber right know,also I am far from my Mac right now, but do a google search or in downloads.com for mac osx webcam software, there is one that allows yuo to adjust all the video features from your webcam, to modify the brightness/contrat, invert, change colors, etc...

Once I return to my Mac I'll forward more details of it....If I'm not wrong it's not expensive 10-20 $.

IT'S TWEAKER....
    ________
    BMW Rennsport

10. JimmyB248 thread starter macrumors regular

The problem is not that it just needs a little adjustment though, it's that for some reason all that's being picked up is different shades of yellow. There is no Red, no Green, No Blue, No Black or white. Just yellow, so it's something wrong with the driver or something rather than the video settings itself. Thanks for the reply though.

11. McGiord, Nov 17, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Ilumination...

I Have No Clue About The Driver, But In Order To Discard It As A Possible Root Cause Check On The Manufacturer's Support Web.
    No Offense, But What Type Of Illumination You Have For Your Webcam?? Is It A Yellow Bulb Or Is It Daylight?
    Does It Works Fine In Other Place Or Computer?
    ________
    Henry Centennial Library

12. JimmyB248 thread starter macrumors regular

It's daylight, works absolutely fine on the PC next to it, and it's not the lighting, there are literally no other channels coming through. Just yellow entirely. Completely unusable, must be a problem with the drivers as the webcam itself is fine and the Mac can handle other webcams fine.

Anybody had any experience with Macam before? Ever had any problems?