webcams that work with well with yahoo messenger?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ontherun, Aug 25, 2006.

1. ontherun macrumors newbie

i want to purchase a webcam thats relatively cheap and works well with yahoo messenger, anything out there that isnt the iSight?

2. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

the best one is the iSight. there's another one called an Icecam, but it's a complete POS, IMHO.

3. DVDSP macrumors regular

Are you sure...

...that the iSight will work with Yahoo! Messenger? Just today my sister asked about webcams and she uses Messenger but I don't, so I'm not sure what is compatible with it.

Also, are there other webcams (cheaper, since she is cheap) that work with both YM and iChat?

Thanks in advance,

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

rimshot anyone? <cough>

5. DVDSP macrumors regular

I told you she was cheap

So, I found out this morning that my sister already bought (she failed to mention that earlier) a Logitech QuickCam Chat and she can't seem to get it working with Yahoo! Messenger. She claims the Mac doesn't recognize it at all (she as a Core Solo mini).

I'm heading over there today and am hoping I can get a little info before then. Does anyone know if that cam works on a Mac or have any suggestions?

I saw that there is a new beta of YM out so I'll install that for her today.

Thanks in advance,

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

As far as I know, Logitech only has two compatible webcams for Mac OS X and they're the older version of the Notebook webcam and the QuickCam Pro 4000. They're rather expensive, especially considering the quality.

Once getting a USB-connected webcam, you still need to buy an iChat plug-in, ichatusb, I believe, to make the webcam work with iChat. Yahoo! Messenger 2.3.8 will probably recognise them, though.

7. omtatsat macrumors member

omtatsat

Webcam

Have a Mac 10.3. Bought logitech quickcam 4000. Works perfekt with yahoo and ichat. Dont install the logitech software that comes with it.Its only for mac 10.1 until mac 10.2. Otherwise it wont work. You have to then download maccam program and install. This program has a driver for logitech included.http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/

8. ddekker macrumors regular

webcam

try an old (or new) firewire camcorder... I tried it with ichat, never with yahoo, but I would like to think it would work....

D

9. dropscience macrumors newbie

dropscience

I'm using an old Quickcam Pro 4000 and haven't had any problems with it on Yahoo Messenger. They SHOULD be fairly cheaper nowadays since Logitech released a replacement for that model. Perhaps ebay?