Webcams

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JzzTrump22, Jun 6, 2005.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I want to get a webcam for my PB so i can video conference with people but i don't want to spend teh $130 on an iSight. Are there any cheaper alternatives for under $50, the cheaper the better. Of course if it's just a piece of crap it's not worth it. Thanks to those that help!

2. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

3. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

sorry nobody responded. i know you dont want to but isight is worth all the money. i've got one and it's amazing! most other webcams have extremely poor quality and an isight is a lot more reliable. check ebay. they have new ones really cheap.

4. Frank (Atlanta) macrumors regular

Wireless Webcam, then?

Not to hijack the thread, but any suggestions for a wireless webcam, then?

Assume quality would be marginal (no)?

5. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Check out this software and the cameras that its supports, you may just be able to lay your hands on a supported camera.

The software is called Macam

You can download from here.

Attached Files:

6. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

My friend, the iSight is where it's at... it's great quality, great look and extremely easy set up (plug and play), the iSight is worth every penny

7. hanxu macrumors newbie

get an isight man, when my mum (she uses windows ,has a logitec cam and she's in China) can see every movement I make, but all I see on her side is blocks

8. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I know I should get an iSight but it's just too expensive for me to spend $130 for one. Mabey in a few months after my job starts and i start getting paid, i'll have about $300 to play with, all the rest is going to the bank.

9. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I think about this all the time... what if something else comes out! I may just buy myself a sony handicam video camera, I think OS X recognises them as webcams too, doesn't it?? I also want a video camera, and I cant justify spending £99 on iSight then £369 on a Sony Handicam!?

10. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

yeah you can use a digital camcorder for iChat video conferences, I know this for a fact

11. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Great, cheers bubbasteve... does it set up like instantly like an iSight/Firewire Cam? What's resolution like.. surely better than an iSight?

12. lesliemc123 macrumors newbie

iSight Generally

Sorry if this is too far off-topic, but I'm trying to do a little research (for a potential freelance story) on whether videoconferencing is catching on in the consumer space. Would love to hear if anyone has had much success connecting with friends and whether this technology seems to gathering any steam.

Thanks!
    Leslie

13. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I used my cannon MiniDV camera in iChat and it worked great. I used it over firewire and it setup instantly, I just had to turn the button to the "camera" mode. Even audio works!

You can also use quicktime pro and record a video from the camera, it's so cool.