webcams

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jlewis2k1, Aug 23, 2006.

1. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

so, im planning on purchasing a true mac webcam because the one that was brought as a gift isnt mac compatiable. anyone have any good recommendations other than the iSight?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There isn't another really good choice. The price of iSight is good for what you get.

Logitech has a few like the QuickCam Pro 4000 and their older version of their laptop compatible model but they are older. IceCam and others that use FireWire are around $100 but don't include the microphone and are supposedly somewhat inferior in video quality.

3. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

hmm, this is interesting. ok, so i would be forced to buy yet another apple product? lol not that im against it, it just seems like once you buy one product and you want something you have to buy their products to get anything to work.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm not sure what else you think you have to buy but if you're wanting to use it with iChat, Mercury Messenger or aMSN (for MSN Messenger compatibility), or Yahoo! Messenger, you'd be set.

5. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

There are hacks and programs that can make even the cheapest of USB webcams work with Macs, but overall I've heard it's a pretty sh**ty experience compared to plugging in an iSight and getting rolling straight away.

6. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

well if you want the fullest compatiability for keyboards, mouse, montiors or whatever. you mind as well buy the apple branded products for that. you know for the full experience.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

A friend in North Dakota uses a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 with the iChatUSB plug-in and his webcam works but there is a world of difference in the quality.

I'm happier with my Logitech keyboard and trackball than I ever was with Apple products but I know what you mean.

8. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I use a DV camcorder connected with a firewire cable. If you already have such a camera, you might want to give it a try.