Webcams

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Schiffi, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

Can OSX use any ole' webcam or must it say "Mac Compatiable" on the box?

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The webcam should be compatible with OS X. The webcam I used under OS9 is not compatible with OS X and the company that made it is not going to issue an updated driver. I could buy a third party driver for $40 but it doesn't make sense when the webcam only cost $60. I make do with it in OS9.

With that said, most new webcams do work with OS X. But check out their website before you buy one just to be on the safe side.

3. vanillamike macrumors regular

I bought a webcam in November or so, I bought a Logitech quickcam zoom (because it was cheap and matched my eMac). However, to get it to run in OSX I had to buy a driver from ioxperts to get it working. They offer USB/firewire webcam support for many of the new webcams out there. You can download the driver for free, but you will have to reset your cam every 10 minutes I think. The cost of the full driver is $19.95 US, which kinda sucks, but you pay for convenience. I find it annoying that a lot of webcams don't offer OSX support, especially Logitech.

Mike

4. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

I have an iBot from ORANGE MICRO. It's firewire and does well with Yahoo Messenger and does really well with taking still pics and making videos.

I recommend it especially at 99 dollars US.

MacboyX