webcast your wedding?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jelloshotsrule, Aug 31, 2006.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

not sure where to put this, but i think this is an ok spot.

my uncle is getting married soon, and a lot of relatives are overseas or otherwise can't make it. he wants to know if it's at all feasible to webcast the wedding, what all it would require, how much it might cost. i tried a google search but had a hard time finding companies that weren't just corporate events (though i guess they may do other stuff..)

wanted input on technical details, but also any experiences with webcasting a private event (whether wedding or otherwise), and/or companies to look into

thanks all!

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Thats actually a really good idea ... I wonder if you could start a company that would offer such services using higher quality equipment.

3. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah. i mean i'm sure there are folks out there that provide it (even if not wedding specific), but have no idea whether it's feasible. my uncle's not the richest dude.

what i'm not sure of is if he'd mind recording it, and then webcasting that, which i would think would be less involved, easier, and cheaper... heck, i could almost record and broadcast for him, i'd imagine.

any other thoughts?

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wonder if that Go-To-Meeting software could be used somehow...

5. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    there's actually a ton of wedding chapels in Las Vegas that offer this, just google some Vegas locations to get an idea i guess. i'm sure other places outside of LV offer it too, or would be willing to accomodate their request.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I would just cut out the hassle and record it and send it out. Watching the wedding live isn't worth the amount of equipment/hassle/cost involved.

7. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well sending the video/dvd out after the fact, because of shipping internationally, would also be pricey. and he seems to want to get it done either live, or the day after, so i'm trying to get a reasonable price for him. i looked for vegas chapels briefly to see what they have, and from the main one i saw, it looks like they just have a live webcast of their chapel(s) 24/7 and then archives. as opposed to setting it up for a specific ceremony. though i guess they do so many there. hah

any other thoughts? i'll probably tell him to look around his local area for wedding planners or something and even call them and see if they can do it or recommend someone who can.

thanks again all

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

It shouldn't be too hard to do, all you would need is a streaming server and a couple of decent webcams / camcorders. I haven't played around on the mac side yet but I've used Microsoft's Media streaming stuff (free) on windows before and it works great. If you wanted to keep it simple you'd just have one stream going out. You'd need a laptop with an internet connection, a usb or firewire tv tuner, a video transmitter and receiver (available for really cheap on eBay, battery powered transmitter) and a camcorder. I've tried this before with the Windows Media Encoder and it worked great with a USB WinTV tuner, ebay bought transmitter and receiver and a small ebay bought camera. The camera wasn't great but it would work with a camcorder too.

The only thing I'm not sure about how much it would cost is the streaming part. You'd have to have a server with plenty of upload bandwidth or maybe hire one. Somewhere for you to stream your signal to and from which other people can connect.

9. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Yeah, it can be done. But, it'd probably be pricey, because of the equipment and bandwidth costs. Basically, you need Quicktime streaming server software, a static IP address and a server to broadcast to, camera hooked into your Mac, and use Quicktime Broadcaster.

A quick google got me to a host that provides Quicktime Streaming service. They include a rate chart too.

I've never done this completely other than broadcasting a webcam to my server (which I shut down due to bandwidth), so perhaps someone who has a lot of experience in this department can chime in.

Good luck and congrats to your uncle!:)

10. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well, i have a lot of the equipment (camera, mac, etc...)

as for the streaming bits... how much disk space would one use if one were streaming a file live, vs. uploading it as a raw file to stream later? i'm just trying to gauge, realistically, which price plan. i am not sure how many people will watch it... but is it generally that you multiply how big the file would be by how many people will watch it to get how much bandwidth one will need?

thanks for all the info. keep it coming if there's more.

11. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Since it would be streaming, the file size would just be the quicktime file that tells where the stream is coming from. I don't think the file would be too big--your real issue is bandwidth.

12. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ok cool. thanks!

and the software you mentioned in the first post (qt streamer and broadcaster) is all one would need to go from video in to the web? i'll look into them... thanks a ton!

13. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

The server side needs Quicktime Streaming Server. If you buy that service from a QT host (like the one I posted), you don't need that. But, if you stream it from your own server, it needs to have Quicktime Streaming Server installed. To broadcast the video to the internet, download QT broadcaster. From there, you enter in the server details (location of stream file, IP, username etc--the host should give you these) and click broadcast. It'll start streaming video from your camera to the internet if all your settings are correct.

If you have multiple cameras, you'll want to look up how to do this. It'd probably involve using Final Cut Pro and other apps. You'll want to test it to make sure everything works before the wedding, just so there is no sudden uh ohs.

Here is a quick google search on QT Stream hosts. Research and pick one you like.