Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iDevices has announced that its app-enabled iGrill and Kitchen Thermometer accessories have been acquired by Weber-Stephen Products, a worldwide manufacturer of charcoal, gas, and electric outdoor grills and related accessories. The acquisition includes the iGrill2, iGrill mini, Kitchen Thermometer, and Kitchen Thermometer mini. The terms of the agreement are confidential.

iGrill-Weber-iDevices.jpg

Weber will partner with iDevices to release a new iGrill app, which is expected to be available in spring 2016. Until then, iGrill and Kitchen Thermometer users can continue using their accessories through the existing iDevices Connected app. Unlike some of its other products, iDevices's iGrill and Kitchen Thermometer accessories are not compatible with Apple's HomeKit smart home platform.

iDevices said it will now be able to focus more on becoming a leader in the home automation market. The accessory maker already sells multiple HomeKit-enabled products, including a Switch, Outdoor Switch, and Thermostat. It introduced four more HomeKit accessories at CES 2016, including a Socket, Wall Switch, Dimmer Switch, and Wall Outlet. The products will be released throughout 2016.

iGrill is an intelligent thermometer that allows you to monitor the temperature of the meat you are grilling on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Article Link: iDevices Sells iGrill and Kitchen Thermometers to Weber

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
I love the way IOT devices are getting more and more common, but these seem like overkill to me. I'm sure someone out there would love to check a grill's temperature from a phone, but it's probably cost-prohibitive for most people.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
if weber doesn't upgrade these to be home kit compatible than they just wasted money

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
If you're cooking something over a multi-hour period, being able to check your grill status remotely is invaluable... it allows you to actually get other stuff done without being tethered to the grill...

Plus the iGrill has two probes, which means you can control two different temperatures at the same time. I used it this Thanksgiving and had one probe in the breast and one in the thigh.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Plus the iGrill has two probes, which means you can control two different temperatures at the same time. I used it this Thanksgiving and had one probe in the breast and one in the thigh.
It really comes in handy for barbecues too. You can monitor steak and chicken at once. And the notifications make it so that you can still socialize with people while the food is cooking.

Reactions: wlossw

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
I love the way IOT devices are getting more and more common, but these seem like overkill to me. I'm sure someone out there would love to check a grill's temperature from a phone, but it's probably cost-prohibitive for most people.

$99.95, cheaper than ruining some nice steaks.

Reactions: paulrbeers

iOSFangirl6001

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
There's an iGrill? Dang I swear eventually some day there's gonna be an i version of everything and anything.

iCoffeePot or iMicrowaves anyone?

slierow

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
I love my iGrill 2. The ambient temp probe is awesome for long smokes on the Big Green Egg. Hopefully with a new app on the way they will finally add a complication for the Apple Watch app.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
The inevitable march of technology continues, sometimes to my chagrin. This is one of those times. I am a self professed tech geek, but there are times where being disconnected is freeing. Grilling is one of those times for me. Flames, smoke, beer, and talking crap with my friends. No rings, buzzes, jingles or vibrations. Same with books. I love the smell of the paper and tactile feel of turning pages. Sigh.

/gets off own lawn

/posts this rant to facebook

/tweets this rant on twitter

/post this on Instagram below picture of ribeye

:oops:

flybynight

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2002
I love this device. I don't always use the app with it. It's a great multi-probe thermometer, with a large, easy to read display. I can have it in the kitchen and read it from the dining room. The app is nice too, if you have something roasting or slow cooking. If I had a smoker I would pick up one of the ambient probes, too.
Just glad I got mine before the price septuples with the new branding.

jamesdmc

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2007
Cittagazze
My iGrill 2 gets used 3-5 times a week. And I don't even own a grill. It's my all purpose kitchen thermometer. Those $10-$20 thermometers from Bed Bath Beyond were retired once the iGrill showed up.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the price once (I assume) Weber rebrands it.

Reactions: paulrbeers

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012

I was just about to say, these are products that exist because they can and not because anyone wants them.

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
This really isn't for grilling. It is for barbeque (smoking).

Having the ability to go inside when grilling, which cooks the meat in a few minutes isn't useful.

However, having the ability to go inside during a ten-hour smoke is extremely valuable.

I really like Weber. Their company impresses me, and I'm guessing that they treat their employees well, because every time I speak with one, they are upbeat and happy.

But, they are very far from a technology company. I really hope they keep all the employees involved in the products they bought, because they have little or no ability to keep them up to date over time, which is necessary for this type of equipment.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007

It's quite handy for a BBQ enthusiast doing something like a pulled pork that is mostly set and forget just need to get it at 190 degrees.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
This really isn't for grilling. It is for barbeque (smoking).

Having the ability to go inside when grilling, which cooks the meat in a few minutes isn't useful.

However, having the ability to go inside during a ten-hour smoke is extremely valuable.

I really like Weber. Their company impresses me, and I'm guessing that they treat their employees well, because every time I speak with one, they are upbeat and happy.

But, they are very far from a technology company. I really hope they keep all the employees involved in the products they bought, because they have little or no ability to keep them up to date over time, which is necessary for this type of equipment.

Yup I'll pay double for a weber grill over a cheap knockoff anytime unfortunately, they've semi succumbed to the market and have the Chinese made spirit line now that's made in China. Genesis and summit grills are still usa made. I also have a kettle and a smokey mountain smoker which I would use the igrill on

Reactions: Boatboy24

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
Yup I'll pay double for a weber grill over a cheap knockoff anytime unfortunately, they've semi succumbed to the market and have the Chinese made spirit line now that's made in China. Genesis and summit grills are still usa made. I also have a kettle and a smokey mountain smoker which I would use the igrill on

They are the "Apple" of the grill world. Like my numerous idevices, I own a handful of Weber grills/smokers. Their products last, and their customer service is top notch. Except for the cheap Sprit line, their stuff is still made here in the US.

These devices are good. Hopefully, Weber knows what their doing in the electronics world.

AntonLee

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2015
Totally awesome

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I really like my iGrill but after a year of use the ambient sensor went haywire. I only BBQ about 20-25 times per year. I think there was a recall with this one though, but they required you to cut it up and take a picture of it cut up which is really lame. I never did that because I didn't think about it until it was grilling season and I couldn't wait that long, but I should have just photoshopped the cut. Hopefully they still honor it at Weber. I'll try this weekend while we're in the deep freeze with snow. I think my other meat probes were also recalled.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
My wife just bought a digital thermometer that sticks into the meat and has a wire that connects to a display with a magnetic back. We used it for the first time over the weekend. You set the temperature desired and a timer. The thing then set off a audio alert when its ready. Actually quite nice and simple. Total cost - $18.

chukronos

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
Colleyville, TX
I love my igrill2. Being able to monitor different steaks for the right temp is really nice. I never over-cook the skinnier steak any more. I haven't bought any additional probes, but the ability to have 4 separate probes is really nice. I get to talk and drink with my friends instead of worrying about how long I've had the steaks on the grill.

BTW - when using your weber seer station on high, don't have the probes in. It'll be too hot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.