Webistes like tv.org (downloading tv shows)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thugangel, Dec 29, 2005.

1. thugangel macrumors newbie

Hi,

i need some words of wisdom from my fellow mac users.. i ask u all as u have macs over windows...nuff said..

the issue is this.. i want to download tv shows like captain planet, my wife and kids, x-men the animated series, spider-man, the list goes on! the thing is after trying limewire i can;t get some of the episodes and sometimes none at all. so i searched the internet and found such sites as www.tv.org however i am a bit hesistant as it seems too good to be true..

wil paying for subscription to this site actually give me a p2p that will allow me to get all my tv shows? PLEASE HELP

in need of help for a tv junkie!

2. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

I'm not sure, but I don't think P2P networks exchanging copyright-protected material are approved topics of conversation in these forums. So don't be surprised if you don't get a response.

I may be wrong, but I'm not aware of many -- any? -- P2P networks that are legal. And Macrumors.com folk like to run a clean operation.

3. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

That kinda stuff is taboo here. I would say you need to do some creative googling.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

P2P networks are legal, but the content may not be. If there's any doubt as to the legality, it is likely illegal. There are sites based in Russia that sell copyrighted music without permission via a loophole in Russian laws, but their content is still illegal for US residents to download.

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I would love a real link or two that attempts to prove you are correct about this. In all of my reading, I've yet to come to a definitive conclusion on that one. I think as of right now it really isn't illegal for US citizens to download from allofmp3.

I'm not trying to start a debate... I would just like some more resources on the topic.

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The likes of allofmp3.com are legal in Russia(pending possible law changes),and they do pay for the music as required under Russian law.The question of it being legal or not in the US is fairly murky,but as they've been operating a number of years and the R**A hasn't tried to stop them suggests it won't be easy.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I won't pretend I know the actual legality of any of my statements - it's just an opinion and it errs on the side of caution.

It is my opinion that the Russian sites are operating in bad faith (i.e. they think they are successfully exploiting a loophole), and thus whether or not they are legal is less important to me than the fact that they are shady (again, in my opinion).

allofmp3.com (or any foreign operation) is not directly within the jurisdiction of the RIAA - the US government would have to get involved in order to prosecute unless the Russian government chose to become unusually cooperative. And (again, in my opinion) US citizens who download from there are in very murky legal waters, leaning towards illegality.

I'm not preaching a "don't be a pirate" message, btw. ;) I'm just giving you my opinions - as always, download at your own discretion.

8. thugangel thread starter macrumors newbie

umm guys...thanks for replyin but i think u lot goin off topic...tvshows.org yay oor nay? it legit i kno that..just wanted to kno if it worth my money!

9. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

:rolleyes:

Yeah, there's so much non-copyright-protected tv shows & sporting events for which people are willing to pay an ongoing monthly subscription fee.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

tv.org again

So has anyone used TV.org? Something is up with the cable and I am considering doing this, but I don't know. Also are there updated shows or just old time favs?

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

Again, I think you need to google around a bit.

If a site makes you pay for TV content (i mean, not in the style of iTunes), then it's generally not legal, nor is it worth it.

Honestly, a bit of googling might give you a bunch of decent sites.

Downloading TV is a shady area, but I love it for those times I forget to tivo a show.

And tv.org looks shady -