Webkit for Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vniow, Aug 8, 2006.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Hm, on a thread roll today. :)

I did a search and couldn't find any mention of it publically, but I just found a project to get Webkit on Windows. I doubt its Apple supported and since its open source anybody's able to do it.

http://www.getwebkit.org/

Its certinly in alpha stages, the browser itself is pretty bare bones and doesn't support everything (couldn't enter my password in the forums since the box wasn't displayed :eek: ) but it interesting to look at and experiment with, not to mention pretty speedy. It has tabs of a sort, more like opera style with it being seperate windows within a window switchable by a tab-like interface rather than actual tabs.

Screenie:

swift.jpg

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

IMO they should focus on getting WebKit itself to work in Windows, and letting others build browsers around it. Maybe that's what they're doing, and that browser is just a demonstration for testing/showcase purposes.

It'd be great if WebKit gains popularity - means more compatibility for Safari!

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This prompted me to wonder whether Konqueror was available for Windows. But apparently it is only available as a part of KDE. Is there any other existing port of this branch of browser code to Windows?

4. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

KDE 4 (and therefore Konq) is planned to be native on Windows for version 4. The current version works well enough, but it requires Cygwin and acts like the weird half-port it is.

4.0 prereleases are expected around October.

6. Fillado macrumors member

Isn't the browser for the iTunes Music Store in iTunes based on WebKit?

7. lOUDsCREAMEr macrumors regular

lOUDsCREAMEr

does it support those flashy or coffee objects?:D

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

No.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I googled for this, so sorry if it's a search-for-me... but... what exactly will it mean for KDE to be running on top of Windows?

Is the plan to allow for KDE to be a secondary window manager running simultaneously with Windows (like X11 is when it runs in parallel with Aqua in OS X), or is it just to be able to use the KDE libraries to write Windows software?

10. lOUDsCREAMEr macrumors regular

lOUDsCREAMEr

i've tested it on my old windows pc~
    guess what?? its INSANELY FAST!! (Amd Duron 1.2ghz, 512MB ram)

dun support Flash

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Their intention is to use the Windows version of the QT 4, because the license now allows it.

That's how the current release works, it uses X11. The new stuff should have a native (at least, as native as QT gets) interface.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, then let me rephrase my question. How does X11 work on top of Windows? Is it a parallel alternate windows manager like it is on top of Aqua in OS X, or does it kill the Windows' window manager and you only have the X-based interface?

13. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It works pretty much the same way it does under OS X, I suppose. In the Windows world you'll run across references to "rooted" and "rootless" X11 servers. The rooted ones have a full screen or MDI-like window that contains all the stuff happening in the little X11 world, while rootless ones will wrap Windows windows around individual X11 windows (kind of like how the OS X X11 server works).

X11 being X11, each program does still have its own idiosyncrasies with regard to mouse buttons, text entry, font rendering and so on.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Gotcha. Thank you! :) This actually is also a feature of OS X's X11 implementation -- although it might go under a different name.