webmaster assistance

Discussion in 'Community' started by tazo, Aug 7, 2003.

1. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I have searched what seems like every 'scripts' website, or html assistance website, for a code that will change the text on a given page upon reload.

I am hoping to implement this for the 'links', 'facts', and 'stories' parts of my website's homepage.

All it would do is draw text from some source, and change it upon reloading of the website.

If you know of any site with such a code,script, or whatnot email or pm me.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

-tazo

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What server side support do you have (SSI/Perl-CGI/PHP/Java...). If you have none of these it becomes a little more difficult (but not impossible - generate the page elements via Javascript).

Also when you say reload do you mean when the user clicks reload on their browser? Or do you mean that you change the server side config file to change the content of your site menu?

3. tazo thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

I believe I have all of those...

Ok the website is in profile, and if u see how on as you scroll, there are stories, facts, and links. What I ideally want to do is for everytime someone comes to the website, that content I mentioned is changed to something else, like another link or fact.

I recall a while back seeing something like this on one of those websites like dynamicdrive but now i cannot find anything.

Any and all help is appreciated

-tazo

4. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

you need a random [something] script - there's a ton of them on www.hotscripts.com under php. They shouldn't take too much work to set up as they generally have either an installer or detailed instructions.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

you can do it with javascript too, but I think it would be much easier to do it with PHP.

Good luck.

D

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As PHP seems to be widly liked (although I prefer Java myself) this might be a starting point: http://www.aasted.org/quote/

7. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

8. tazo thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo