Web's inventor gets a knighthood

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Dec 31, 2003.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The inventor of the world wide web, Tim Berners-Lee, has been awarded a knighthood for his pioneering work.

2. iGav macrumors G3

I always thought the web was invented in the '70's??

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

For military use, yeah. I think maybe this guy was the one to make it so we civilians could use it?

4. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

I think you're thinking about the Internet in general, which was originally military then used by universities and the rest, rather than specifically the web.

http://www.w3.org/History.html
    http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/ShortHistory

5. hobbes3113 macrumors regular

hobbes3113

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That was my first thought also. I'm impressed by the humility of Sir Tim. It is just too bad Al couldn't have half of his humility. We are very fortunate that the military/university project became available to civilians like us.

7. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Here's the story:

Al Gore was a key player in getting the funding necessary to create infrastructure for the Internet to take off in the U.S. That is all he has ever said and it is absolutely true.

Sir Tim Berners-Lee is the guy that invented hypertext, which is the foundation of the World Wide Web today. "http" stands for "HyperText Transfer Protocol".

Al Gore = critical to the Internet
    Sir Tim Berners-Lee = critical to the World Wide Web

8. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Welllllll the concept of hypertext predates Sir Berners-Lee. Ted Nelson is considered the originator of the hypertext concept. But Sir Tim Berners-Lee *did* implement it the way we see it today.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The World Wide Web didn't really take off until you could use it, which happened due to Marc Andreesen and his team at NCSA (the University of Illinois National Center for Supercomputing Applications) in early 1993. That's when they produced Mosaic, the first graphical web browser. It came out first for Unix, then mid-year for Windows and Macintosh. By the end of the year, the die was cast, as they say, and the same development team was off creating Netscape.

10. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Special thanks to Daveman for correcting the Al Gore bit before it got out of hand. Too many people jump on him for something taken completely out of context.

On another note, so many Knighthoods have been given out, lately, that they seem pretty meaningless. Such and honor shouldn't be trivialized by dishing them out at a rate of ten-per-week.

Dan

11. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Yes, I just realised that they aren't worth too much when my friend showed me the medal that he owns, which is a real medal that somebody received when they were given a knighthood.

12. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

yeah that's dumd when people saythat (not you). back in the 70's at the pentagon was simply the first time anyone ever thought to network computers. and they did it on a pretty huge scale and integrated all sorts of things into their network that we see in today's.