website=ego

Discussion in 'Community' started by rdkr, Mar 3, 2005.

1. rdkr macrumors newbie

Only just got this ( website =ego). Have now had a site online for 3 months. Feel low with low page hits and high with high pages hits. Now this would not be so bad if i was using it to make money, but i'm not. Feels very stange wanting to pull in more and more visitors. Are there any others on here the same. maybe we could set up a self-help group. Please tell me i'm not the only one (after visiting my site and viewing at least a few pages).
    Richard
    www. anonymous

http://www.franceinfocus.net
    Please visit and boost my self-esteem :D

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The best way to drive web site hits is to provide good content and to make sure that your site is indexed on the major search engines. I don't know how many hits my web site receives each week, although I could look it up through my hosting company's web site if I wanted to. But I do know that people are visiting my site, because I get e-mail from them at least once a week either thanking me for posting specific information or asking me questions. (For those who don't visit my site, it contains a LOT of information about my art collection, including artist bios and images of works of art; yearbook pages from my high schools; pictures of my family's dogs; and a listing of all of the articles I wrote for Microsoft's knowledge base.)

3. howard macrumors 68020

howard

its interesting how many hits some sites get an not others, but i think it grows exponentially. Doing things as simple as posting in these forums will get people to look at it, then if they talk to other people who might look at it, it will grow and grow. However a key factor is getting people to come back! A good design and layout is essential. I'll admit myself i'll go to sites that may have less information if they are easier to get around and more pleasing to the eye.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I don't look at that stuff too often, but I looked at the number of hits to Gradient Creatorto put on my portfolio and it had been used nearly 100,000 times, by over 3,000 unique visitor! I didn't expect half that many!

So, I agree, website = ego, to some degree. :)

scem0

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

The best way to get more hits to your website is to get it linked and indexed. Go visit similar sites, get your website mentioned and take it from there. Obviously the content will determine if people keep coming back, I would also suggest a slight redesign as well. Good luck! :)

6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Also, perhaps more pictures of naked girls.

7. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

lmao, yes that is a very good way to attract more visitors. ;)

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yup, I agree, site content and being indexed by major search engines is crucial. But more importantly for me, it's about filling up gaps in the web; finding your "niche". Having unique collections can certainly help do that. :p It is definitely rewarding to see your visits go up, especially when you're mentioned in the news! Website definitely = ego, but I try not to let it go to my head. ;)

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I agree, you need to get your website indexed on all major websites.