Website Idea

Discussion in 'Community' started by Durandal7, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I was just looking at MacRumors main page and I saw in a news posting that "MacBidouille has had a variable accuracy record" and an idea occurred to me.

What if there was a website that ranked the various rumor sites based on the accuracy of their rumors? I know about RumorTracker but that seems to be fanboys of the various sites voting as many times as they, I mean MacOSRumors is ranked the highest for god's sake. There is also the MacRumors rumor roundup but those only come after major events.

Would anyone be interested in a site that examined the track records of the rumor sites in a format similar to the MacRumors buyer's guide? If there is enough interest I will give it a shot.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

if it was really based on tangible results, like MR's post-event roundups, i think it would definitely be a handy reference...

pnw

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It's something I've considered doing, but the problem is with the interpretation.

I have a stricter interpretation of correctness then others I think.

arn

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Which is something I appreciate and would hope for in a rumors rating. I suppose some might say that the other problem for Arn doing this might be conflict of interest, but he has always given due credit and been objective in the post-event winners/losers...

as i said, whether MR or independent site, as long as it was based on stringent categorizing, i think it would be helpful in interpretation of rumors from various sources...

pnw

5. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

The primary purpose would be a quick table that compares to the rumor to what actually happened but I would also have a stock-ticker style numerical value assigned.

I was thinking about to set it up.

First off, each rumor would be assigned a "weight" of 1-4 ranging from something minor (1) to something earth-shaking (4) (note: 4 would only be used for something on the scale of Apple buying MS or the like)
    Let's call this W (Weight)
    Next off would be a 3 point scale to factor in how sure the site is of their source.(1) being absolutely sure and (3) being unsure, if nothing is specified then the value defaults to (1)
    Let's call this C (Confidence)
    Next off we will have the number of details provided (D) verses the accuracy of the details (A)

This can be plugged into the following formula for each individual rumor:
    (W(D/A)+A)/C

The rumor value would then be divided by the highest possible value for that rumor times the weight.

A few positive and negative examples:
    MacRumors- 17/12 Powerbooks
    Weight=3
    Confidence=1
    Details Provided=2
    Accurate Details=2
    (3(1)+2)/1= 5
    (5/5)3= Rumor Value of 3

SpyMac- iWalk
    Weight=3
    Confidence=1
    Details Provided=1
    Accurate Details=0
    (3(0)+0)/1=0
    (0/4)3= Rumor Value of 0

Now we have each rumor assigned to a score that reflects the accuracy of the rumor along with the weight of the claims given. This point score would be displayed as earned points verses possible points, a percentage would also be given alongside the points.
    For these examples it would appear like this:

MacRumors 3/3 100%
    SpyMac 0/3 0%

Now my main question is, would anyone want to visit the site if I did this?

I know the values are open to interpretation but this is the best system I could think of, I would also have Rumors vs. outcomes listed so people could decide for themselves.

6. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

OK, here's what I'm going to do. I will compile an initial database based on rumors from MWSF and WWDC to get the ball rolling. It's going to be done in a stock market style format and will initially offer info for MacRumors, MacOSRumors, ThinkSecret, AppleInsider, SpyMac and LoopRumor. More will be added later on. To simplify things when it comes to MacRumors I will only take Page 1 rumors that originated with the site into consideration. I will add the listings to ClassicMac when I am done.

Can anyone point me to some Javascript code for a ticker? I would like to add a ticker to the top of ClassicMac when I complete the site.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would definitely be interested in such a site Durandal7. Look forward to seeing what you come up with! Thank you for the idea and your hard work!

8. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Sounds like an interesting idea. I would disclose how you come up with your numbers on the website ans maybe be prepared for some comments good or bad.