Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Hey everyone,

Just wanted everyone to check out/critique my latest site, for the University of North Florida's Vegetarians club. I'm glad I've finally finished (minus the missing "Member Guide" page which won't be uploaded until I receive input from the club in September on what they would like on it), and I really spent a good amount of time working on it, damned html!

Link!

Check it out!

Thanks in advance!

arf

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
UK
And more to do if you want to make it accessible....

rockandrule said:
Hey everyone,

Just wanted everyone to check out/critique my latest site, for the University of North Florida's Vegetarians club. I'm glad I've finally finished (minus the missing "Member Guide" page which won't be uploaded until I receive input from the club in September on what they would like on it), and I really spent a good amount of time working on it, damned html!

Link!

Check it out!

Thanks in advance!

not bad, infact looks pretty nice but did you have to use all those images! Slicing and dicing a website like that is never a good idea, what about those people who want to use a screen reader or block images to save bandwidth?

index_r5_c8.gif

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Agreed, it does look nice. Agreed, the use of images is bad. Baaaaad.

You could achieve a similar look with some CSS. The text won't be as crisp on Windows machines (esp. without font smoothing), but at least the site will be accessible.

Might consider looking into that

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
arf said:
not bad, infact looks pretty nice but did you have to use all those images! Slicing and dicing a website like that is never a good idea, what about those people who want to use a screen reader or block images to save bandwidth?

View attachment 53643

Agreed, way too many parts to that image.

No offense, but I love my meat.

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
The slicing is a big problem for me too, and I'm glad I have a place like this to help. So, help me! haha. I want to keep my buttons the way that they are, but I could not figure out a way to make it where they do not chop my page into pieces. I'm using Fireworks and Dreamweaver if that helps at all. But I definitely want to keep the buttons how they are, with the shadow boxes and such. Also, I've never had any formal teaching or experience with building websites before, so it's all been a trial for me. Thanks for any help!

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
rockandrule said:
The slicing is a big problem for me too, and I'm glad I have a place like this to help. So, help me! haha. I want to keep my buttons the way that they are, but I could not figure out a way to make it where they do not chop my page into pieces. I'm using Fireworks and Dreamweaver if that helps at all. But I definitely want to keep the buttons how they are, with the shadow boxes and such. Also, I've never had any formal teaching or experience with building websites before, so it's all been a trial for me. Thanks for any help!

Shadow boxes? What shadow boxes? Do you mean the green background when you hover the mouse over?

If so, this is the easiest thing to achieve with CSS:

make an unordered list of items, apply a class to it.. say, .navbuttons

Now, in your CSS file, write something like this (note, haven't actually checked if this works.. just typing straight into the forum)

.navbuttons a {
color: SHADEOFGREEN;
background: white;
}

.navbuttons a:hover {
color: SHADEOFGREEN;
background: OTHERGREEN;
}

That will achieve the same effect... usually

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
All that text could be rendered in HTML and the borders in CSS. When you go updating your site, the way it is now will make that extremely difficult.

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
Another suggestion if you were to redo it with CSS is to develop it so that it looks nice on 20-inch monitors and larger (ie. so the site stretches across the full width of the browser window). :)

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
its not "proper" practice to use images to display text like that. lots of reasons but mainly because it limits access for the visually impaired. check out http://www.w3.org for best practices on web standards. looks nice though.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Nice looking webpage, but horrible construction. Even if you use in image to display text, have a whole block of text on a single image.

khaos34

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2006
Just remember that slicing images is a horrible thing to do in practice unless you're using it for prototyping or if you're really comfortable with coding and are able to use sliced images effectively (can't really think of a use).

My suggestion would be to read up on XHTML and CSS and try your best to re-create the site. Even though it seems that you'll struggle a lot, you'll become way more skilled and be more comfortable with coding. Good luck! Let me know if you need help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.