Website raising money to destroy an iPod

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 10, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Eeesh... some people really need to get their priorities straight in life.

I really hope that when they purchase their iPod and take it out to smash, that they hurl into the camera on tape only for it to bounce and keep playing...

3. macrumors 6502

Hm, I like the way that guy also is soliciting money to buy a (as yet unreleased) PS3 to "smash" as well :rolleyes:

4. macrumors 601

stoid

Yes, all you who hate the iPod, go out and donate money to buy one.

As Bill Engvall would say, "Here's your sign."

5. macrumors 68040

tech4all

Wow, what a sad little life these people have. Nothing better to do than raise money, buy an iPod, then destroy it. If they hate it so much, then why are they giving Apple money in the first place? Stupid. :rolleyes:

Maybe by then there will be new iPods out that are really durable. And as they try to destroy it the iPod never really breaks and they just give up, are out a couple $100 and look like idiots :D

6. macrumors member

7. macrumors G5

nagromme

Great scam! Get people to buy you an iPod, try to destroy it, and then keep it for yourself when it (of course) still works!

8. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

How the hell does this guy get the word out about these silly little sites? I guess it doesn't hurt to have MacBytes link him.

9. macrumors 603

solvs

I don't get it either. Just buy one off of eBay that's broken if you must. And to ask money to do this? Spend you're money on something else, like helping victims of one of the recent natural disasters. :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yep, have a toddler hit it with a rubber hammer while wrapped in bubble-wrap. See, I tried, but the iPod is indestructible. Oh well. Proceeds to fill it with music.

11. macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I'm not surprised that $192 has already been raised via Paypal (and their goal will most likely be met), but all it does is highlight the absurdity of it. Sounds like the type of publicity seeking stunt that some sophomoric radio station jerks occasionally get behind.

12. macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Ideas

Guys, he's doing this AT AN APPLE STORE IMMEDIETLY AFTER HE BUYS IT. If it is indeed not a scam, take it as a prank and watch the insuing chaos. :D

13. macrumors 6502a

Adding to the Christmas iPod sales: +1 to the quarter's numbers.

I don't agree with the waste of money or an iPod. Funny thing is most of the positive replies on his site like the iPod and just want to see the reaction.

I could think of hundreds of better places to donate $$$ than to smashmyipod.

By the way, why is it "myipod?" Shouldn't it be smashanipod - see he does want it for himself afterall. <- scam

14. macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

sounds like he wants to buy it in the store, open it, then break it inside the store, and leave....

...why you would want to do this, who knows. And why would people donate money to some guy do do this? What are they, stupid people who love giving money away?

>.> ..... <.< .... >.<

*donates $5*

(j/k)

15. macrumors newbie

applemacstud

what a waste of time a money, stupid idiot.

16. macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm going to disagree with the majority here and say that I think it's a pretty funny idea. I'm not going to donate any money, but it should be a pretty funny video if he pulls it off.

17. macrumors 603

solvs

Funny? Yes. Stupid? Yes. Donate money? No.

18. macrumors 65816

Photorun

I hope the little punk*** twerp gets detained by maul/store security and then fined for littering and/or any other charges that are applicable. Just because he can buy it and destroy it at the store, it's still private property and subject to whatever they can dish out on him. And I hope someone tips off the mall/store to it so there's guards right there to cart his sorry little ass off. To the above poster who thinks it's "funny," well having his arse fined and detained for being a little pr***, now THAT would be funny!

19. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

meh, atleast that guy who was gonna blow up his g4 was doing it to buy a dual g5. This one just seems wasteful...then again, smashing stuff is pretty damned fun. Plus this makes a interesting point about consumerism.

20. macrumors 68000

Deepdale

At the smashmyipod.com site, the planners of the event have listed the name, alternative e-mail address and phone number of one person who has been flaming them for their idea. That is the type of provocative act that can escalate until everything spirals out of control.

21. macrumors G5

nagromme

"Don't you hate the iPod? Don't you hate Apple? Please send money to me so I can give it to Apple!"

OK... go for it.

The only money donated is probably his own to try to get the ball rolling.

22. macrumors regular

BOOMBA

Website raising money to destroy an iPod

hopefully he'll scratch the floor of the Apple store in the process, and have to pay to refinish it.
    or is that stuff some lame Ikea Pergo crap?
    :)

23. Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I see this as more of a way to more popularize the iPod. Even people who like their iPod will likely enjoy such a movie of one being destroyed ... if he is good with shooting video, which has yet to be seen. I mean face it, we like seeing things go smash. Just glad it's not my money going toward this venture. Me I'd like to see and iPod take microwave trip of destruction, might not be as cool as a CD in the microwave though, hehe.

The little mention in the article about raising money for a PS3 ($400) and Revolution ($350), as far as I've seen prices haven't been decided for those consoles yet. Nintendo will not be starting at $350, I'm betting more like $200 becaus that's more like them. The PS3 price is more believable though. These guys are just trying to get money. They'll probably make the movie in CGI and neevr even hurt their iPod when they get it.

24. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

hmm now I think we've all seen 1 CD in the microwave...I wonder what a 50-100 stack would look like?

Alright everyone! I'm going to raise $100 to buy a stack of CD's and a new microwave, then I'm going to combined the 2 into a desctuctive video. Horray!

25. macrumors 6502a

Dahl

Lame.

But I'm sure Apple would sell him 1000's no matter what he plans to do.