website where i can compare graphics card performance?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zedsdead185, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2006

I remember seeing on this site before, a link to a site where you could use drop down menus to compare two selected graphics cards performances (fps) in certain games. Using google, i can't find it anywhere. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, could they please provide me a link? Thanks in advance
  2. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Toms Hardware is probably the place. However, two good Mac specific sites for graphic card performance numbers are xlr8yourmac and barefeats.

None of these have direct comparisons using drop down menus but have set comparisons and are pretty good.
  3. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
  4. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2006
    thanks for the help yippy and balamw, but I'm afraid that none of those sites are what i was looking for.

I wanted to compare any differance between the 256mb and 128mb X1600 card in the macbook pros. I know this has possibly been asked many times before here. I'm not really a heavy PC gamer, but i do like to play the occasional pc game and do run photoshop. You see, my budget is aimed more towards the low end macbook pro, but i was worried whether the graphics card would be future proof at 128mb. I can't really afford the other specs as I am only a student:p . But if i need to upgrade, i will save longer and buy the nxt spec if i must
  5. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2003
    There is no speed difference between the two x1600's. Its the exact same chip, only one comes with 128mb more of VRAM.

Overall i'd just suggest to get the cheaper model. Yes, 256mb of VRAM is more future proof, but the x1600 mobility won't be fast enough to drive future games all that fast anyway, so I doubt the extra ram will come too much in handy.
  6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Always check out Barefeats for speed tests.
    It is 100% Mac, and grfx cards are tested extensively. :)