Website won't accept/register my iPod nano serial number?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by robcts, Sep 12, 2005.

1. robcts macrumors regular

I tried to register on http://register.apple.com/ for my iPod nano but am getting:

"This serial number could not be validated. The Marketing Part Number was used instead. If you want you can re-enter your serial number for the above product."

Anyone know why? I typed it correctly.

2. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

It sounds like you are using the wrong number (part number as opposed to serial number). You may want to look through your manual and make sure you've been entering the serial number.

EDIT: Reading over that short answer, I realized I didn't articulate myself very well. What I mean is, there may be more than one number on the box/manual/ipod. Read through the instruction manual and make absolutely sure that the number you found is infact your serial number. It should be the one on the back of the iPod. If that doesn't work, you may want to call Apple.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Thanks for reminding me to register - when I bought mine, the site wasn't yet set up to register nanos.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Erp! Doesn't recognize mine either. And, yes, I'm typing the serial number listed on the back of the nano next to "Serial No.:"....

Perhaps the nano I bought at the Apple Store was just a cheap blackmarket clone....

5. robcts thread starter macrumors regular

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem. :(

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I wonder if anyone has actually successfully registered one.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that it really matters.

7. mac-er macrumors 65816

When they get hit with another class action, they'll have proof you bought one :)

8. robcts thread starter macrumors regular

Someone on the iLounge forums gets the same error as well.