Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

122251-cutyoursim_iphone_unlock.jpg

A number of websites have begun offering customers the ability to have their iPhones unlocked remotely for use on any network without requiring that the devices be jailbroken. As noted by prominent iPhone hacker MuscleNerd, the procedure seems to involve accessing Apple's database to directly add IMEI device identifiers for unlocking.
they're not using a hack. They're using actual access to the Apple database (which is why the unlock happens through iTunes)
Cut Your Sim was the first to gain attention for the service, charging $169.99 for a device unlock. The site does, however, appear to be working through a third party to perform the unlocking rather than performing it directly themselves. Several other sites (1, 2, 3) are offering similar services priced in the $170-$180 range. It is unclear, however, whether they are operating independently or if they are all working with the same party that has decided to offer the service to various storefronts while remaining silent behind the scenes.

Adding a device's IMEI to Apple's database for unlocked iPhones should in theory permanently unlock the device, although the company could conceivably find a way to identify those entries that had been made improperly and remove them, rendering those devices re-locked once they again sync with iTunes. Consequently, most of the sites offering unlocking services are failing to guarantee that the unlock will be permanent, although they are advertising it as such.

It goes without saying that users interested in having their iPhones unlocked without jailbreaking should be wary of small sites claiming to offer such services and should investigate the legitimacy of any offerings they are considering purchasing.

Article Link: Websites Offering New Remote iPhone Unlocking Services

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before AT&T starts offering this service for out of contract iPhones.

Tuck

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
This is awesome, however Apple will catch this little trick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This sure sounds pretty flimsy for something you're gonna spend that much money on.

$170 and no promise it'll keep working?

Also, am I not understanding something? Shouldn't this be massively illegal to the point where the people paying the $170 could also be charged with a crime? Maybe I just don't understand what "accessing the database" means. It sounds to me like it means hacking into private Apple-owned computers. Is that not what this is?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
they're not using a hack. They're using actual access to the Apple database (which is why the unlock happens through iTunes)

I wonder how these companies got access to Apple's database. Why doesn't Apple keep better watch on it? And couldn't Apple just find out who's been accessing the database, and not allow connections from that source anymore? This all seems shady to me.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
I wonder how these companies got access to Apple's database. Why doesn't Apple keep better watch on it? And couldn't Apple just find out who's been accessing the database, and not allow connections from that source anymore? This all seems shady to me.

I imagine the process goes through a carrier outside of the US because many countries and carriers offer unlocks for their iPhone customers.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I imagine the process goes through a carrier outside of the US because many countries and carriers offer unlocks for their iPhone customers.

Ok, this makes sense. Probably $100 of your fee goes to bribing a guy who works at some small carrier store in some other country. He types in the number and gets a nice 'bonus.'

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I can't believe AT&T still won't unlock iPhones: In the UK, O2 will unlock anyone's contract phone for free (you just need to ask), and a PAYG one for £15 (plus the loss of the free web bolt on you get for the first 12 months).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
This is the vulnerability those security pundits have been warning was coming.

What would I rather do: Hack into Apple's servers to implement a legally very dubious unlocking service for $170 (which is obviously highly overpriced, because Apple could do the same thing for free if they wanted to) that might open me up to litigation from Apple, or create a website that collects $170 a shot from gullible iPhone owners, do nothing, and run with the money?

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just create an unlocked iPhone and give every consumer choice. I thought apple is concerned with the users experience. I can't stand the BS in the whole unlocking/jailbreak experience. Apple just mandate that all phones are to be factory unlocked and quite bowing down to big cell companies.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Wow.. $170 is expensive. I can see Apple cracking down on this pretty quickly. Apple have to keep the cell phone providers happy - *country dependant* - these aren't going to be happy with customers unlocking their phones while on contract.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
I can't believe AT&T still won't unlock iPhones: In the UK, O2 will unlock anyone's contract phone for free (you just need to ask), and a PAYG one for £15 (plus the loss of the free web bolt on you get for the first 12 months).
Indeed, AT&T should be doing it especially once the 2 year contract has expired-- as should Apple themselves.

Furthermore, Apple should be selling factory unlocked iPhones in the US.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ca$hflow said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just create an unlocked iPhone and give every consumer choice. I thought apple is concerned with the users experience. I can't stand the BS in the whole unlocking/jailbreak experience. Apple just mandate that all phones are to be factory unlocked and quite bowing down to big cell companies.

I agree. The poop is on Apple's hands here. They are the ones that have the power to unlock these phones but they are more interested in corporate money instead of customer satisfaction.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC

Most likely they didn't, and there is no DB breach. Numerous foreign carriers will unlock iPhones they sell to comply with local laws or to please their customers. They are probably going through one or more legit foreign carriers.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree. The poop is on Apple's hands here. They are the ones that have the power to unlock these phones but they are more interested in corporate money instead of customer satisfaction.

Contractual obligations...

They aren't allowed to unlock them if they are locked. And in the case of the US, it seems they might be contractually prohibited from selling unlocked units themselves.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
This would be stealing, as my contract obliges me to continue paying for the cost of the hardware, which really isn't paid for, when I first get the phone. I agree with the others however, that AT&T should unlock the phone, once the contract is up, or that Apple should offer an unlocked phone, albeit at a higher price. I am thinking of expat pilots who live in the UAE flying for an international carrier for 20 days and then get to come back stateside for 10. They really need a solution like that. The next thing that AT&T should do, then, is have a different pricing structure for those with legitimately unlocked phones. After all, that phone didn't cost AT&T a dime.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Most likely they didn't, and there is no DB breach. Numerous foreign carriers will unlock iPhones they sell to comply with local laws or to please their customers. They are probably going through one or more legit foreign carriers.

Carriers that performs unlocks are not allowed/able to unlock IMEIs that are registered to other carriers. When this services was being offered for only a small number of carriers, yes, it seemed likely that the unlockers had paid off employees within those few carriers. That they are able to offer it for basically all carriers now implies that they have discovered a vulnerability. Could be they are spoofing the certificates of all carriers, resulting in some terminal they have appearing to be signed for that carriers. Could be they have gained access to credentials that give them broader access. It is not just a simple matter of having a compromised employee at a single carrier anymore.

macachia

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
i think what cutyoursim is doing is quite legal.

My local vodafone charges 100euros (was 200euros last year) to unlock any iphone & get it registered on apple's servers.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
This would be stealing, as my contract obliges me to continue paying for the cost of the hardware, which really isn't paid for, when I first get the phone. I agree with the others however, that AT&T should unlock the phone, once the contract is up, or that Apple should offer an unlocked phone, albeit at a higher price. I am thinking of expat pilots who live in the UAE flying for an international carrier for 20 days and then get to come back stateside for 10. They really need a solution like that. The next thing that AT&T should do, then, is have a different pricing structure for those with legitimately unlocked phones. After all, that phone didn't cost AT&T a dime.

In what way could you possibly define this as stealing? As you say, your contract is what obligates you to continue paying. Having an unlocked iPhone doesn't magically make your contract disappear. You still have to keep paying AT&T. It does allow you to use your personal property to do business with another carrier, if you choose, but you will still be paying AT&T. The fact that the lock is only in place to keep you from doing business, using your personal property, with another carrier, would be called restraint of trade in any other industry and would itself be illegal. Why is it legal in the wireless industry?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Indeed, AT&T should be doing it especially once the 2 year contract has expired-- as should Apple themselves.

Furthermore, Apple should be selling factory unlocked iPhones in the US.

It's funny because when a bunch of lawyers (or lawyer'd up consumers) went after ATT solely for the purpose of unlocking the iPhone after the contractual obligation, people were like:
WTF WELCOME TO AMERICA WHERE THE HOOKERS ARE CHEAP AND THE LAWSUITS ARE PLENTIFUL
or my favorite
WHY OH WHY CAN'T A COMPANY JUST MAKE A PHONE FOR ATT AND NOT VERIZON IT'S APPLES CHOICE.
Those who are familiar with the lawsuit will remember clearly that having the iPhone on verizon (at the time) was never a goal.

So it's the consumers fault on this one.

AEMV

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2006
Tired of Apple's locked ecosystem

Switching to Android.

I travel to China half of the year, I NEED and unlocked phone so that i can pop in my Chinese SIM card when i'm there.

iPhone is just not for me.

FU Apple.... so much for Freedom in the US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.