Websites that makes a difference to YOU

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Temujin, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

There a plenty of sites out there. So many that finding the good ones can take forever.

I'm looking for the few good sites that has something important
    or meaningful to show or tell us. Sites that might work as an eye-opener.

All sites are of interest, communities, blogs...well whatever, just as long as the sites makes a difference to you I'm happy.

2. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

3. bartelby macrumors Core

The site that has made the biggest difference to me is a forum.
    It's a bog standard phpBB forum but the 20 of us who use it have become really close friends.
    They stopped my depression and side effects from meds from going too far.
    I can honestly say that the site saved my life.

4. Temujin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Thanks, exactly the kind of sites I despise. Containing unimportant and redundant content.

5. Temujin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Thanks for taking my thread seriously. Good to hear the net do have some heart, and helped you in a hard period of your life.
    Did you guys know each other beforehand, or just met online and decided to start the forum? Link?

6. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Ebaum's absolutely sucks.
    No, I'm not a prude. I've been all over the site.
    I just like to see some basic dignity, and I like people to do things legally and to not steal video content, games, etc. from small sites that don't get much traffic. That's unfair and often illegal, and I have trouble respecting a site like that that steals from artist.
    Oh, btw, my sources for that info:
    http://www.ebaumsworldsucks.com/ - You'll probably find this site funny, which I did too, but it has a lot of good stuff to say and a lot of good info.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBaum's_World - Good old Wikipedia.
    So, I'm not trying to persecute you for liking it, but it's good to be informed about what Ebaum's is doing.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

We were all Supporters on http://www.neubauten.org. But yes, we all met online and a lot of us have since met in person.

During the end of one phase and the beginning of another one of us set up a forum to keep us going through the break.
    But none of us have left it even though there is a new forum on the Neubauten site.

8. Sathos macrumors regular

The wotism.net forums. I have a lot of friends there... I love my friends. They really mean a lot to me :)

9. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

here.. aww...

ok. kinda kidding. i have met a few people here, but it is too big of a community for it to get personal.

10. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

I was kind of being sarcastic :D I know ebaumsworld is a stupid website runned by morons who steal from other websites.

11. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Haha, I knew you were "kinda joking" in the sense of it having meaning, but not in the sense of liking it and finding it really funny. A lot of people I know are idiots and actually like it. A lot.:eek:

12. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

13. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Back in the days before web forums or instant messaging clients were as popular as they are now (I started using it in '94), Digital hosted a 'webchat' forum; which though would be nothing remarkable now probably was fairly ahead of its time.

I can remember being gobsmacked that sitting down at my PC I could chat with people from all around the planet; and finding out the things we had in common, and the differences between us. Even now looking back I find it funny how 'wide eyed and innocent' I was, but that's also a sign of how much times have changed in just over 10 years since the web evolved (though of course, there was a lower level of internet activity before that). It also made me realise just what a different view of the world that children who are growing up in a world with Internet will have.

One strange story (if you forgive the slight tangent): there was a guy on that forum (supposedly) called Bob who used to work for NASA. He seemed to be on the forum 24 hours a day, with dry quips for every occasion. One day a reporter from the Washington Post stumbled across the forum, and decided to write a story about this new kind of public forum, and the characters who inhabited it. Obviously, Bob featured fairly prominently in the article. A few days later, a stranger appeared on the forum asking about Bob and how often he was online. Only later did we realise it was Bob's boss who'd read the article in the Post and recognised him, and we'd pretty much dug a hole for him. Never heard from him again..

(I would post a link, but I'm sure it's long gone by now).

14. After G macrumors 68000

After G

macrumors
    how else would i whittle away the wee hours of the morning?

google for finding stuff
    slashdot for laughing at the comments
    arstechnica for being informed of technology developments