Weed is in the news,Clinics & Vick

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Dont Hurt Me, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Well looks like the Feds are again looking to make criminals out of pot smokers see the clinic raid in L.A. http:// www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16686623/ or Michael Vicks secret water bottlehttp://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16682616/ I just dont get our beyond crazy federal govt. For example the weed laws were "made up" to go after illegal mexicans over a half a century ago but now we ignore millions of illegals sneaking across our border but weed is still illegal:confused: or we throw two border agents in jail and let the drug smuggler who was moving weed and what have you into the country. The president has ignored 50 congressmans request for setting these two agents free, hasnt even returned their calls or letters. The Federal govt is a gigantic mess so it backs drug dealers but raids legal clinics in California, on one hand it doesnt want the weed on the other hand it does want the weed. Even Michael Vick enjoys the occasional blunt but...... The Feds are trying to turn American weed smokers into the boogeyman but illegal Mexican drug runners are allowed to go? Just more of a screwed federal govt so tied up in its own beauracracy it doesnt know what the hell its doing. I say weed shouldnt be a crime at all unless your pushing it on a Minor period. That though doesnt grow the Police State who needs fear and boogeymen to keep us....:rolleyes: safe:rolleyes: Another federal law that makes no sense but empowers the Police state,Control freaks and the Politician.

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Even though the public is not ready for full legalization the recent ballot measures are definently showing signs of improvement. I don't know when but one day we will be freed of these awful drug laws and the War of Drugs.

jon

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

What sucks is that it doesn't matter what party is in power at the time. The allure of easy arrests based merely on possession and asset seizure makes it too lucrative to politicians of both side.

Cops don't get equipment and bloated budgets for catching murderers. They get sweet vehicles and state of the art techno toys to bust people with a baggy of weed though.

4. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats a good point. I think federal laws empower the Drug Dealers & Politicians and Prison builders. Decriminalizing it is the solution. Many lives have been lost or destroyed by making this something its not. The hard drugs should be treated tough but weed is less addicting then tobacco and a lot lot safer then alcohol. Govt studies have shown this so the whole illegal thing on weed boils down to politics and its self serving history. The politician has to have fear to sell.

No comments on Vick and his bottle im surprised or maybe we just dont have any Falcon fans.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'd like to know more about these weapons they supposedly found. Why does a medicinal clinic need anything of the type, beyond what is allowed by existing laws? If they had anything automatic, I'd be very concerned that they were selling more than what was allowed by state law.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I would agree. But you have to remember, many of these places are very vulnerable to being robbed, happens all the time. When you have pounds of high grade marijuana that is easily valued at $8,000/lb at L.A. street prices then you have a need to worry and concern. It's just how things work and depends on the main purpose for the weapons.

jon

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That's why I wanted to know more. A shotgun or two plus a handgun (and I suppose an AR-15 if they're legal in CA, though it would probably be too unwieldy inside a small store) is understandable considering the value of their stock. Uzi's and Kalashnikov's (or anything else full-auto) aren't.

Unless they have an AK that isn't full-auto, of which there are many. There's even a shotgun based on that design :eek: (semi-auto of course).

8. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Weed is illegal and should be in every country in the world.

9. bozigle macrumors regular

And every country should be following whatever Pdt Bush says because it is just right and anyone saying otherwise is anti-american.

I encourage you to look for scientific facts... once upon a time people were convinced that earth was flat and anyone who disagree with that was strangely rewarded

bozigle... French ... Amsterdam is a so beautiful country with an open mind and objective point of view.

10. Queso macrumors G4

You would think that the USA more than any other country would realise that prohibition doesn't work. All it does is funnel money to real criminals.

11. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

No Bush is wrong on almost everything.

Scientific facts for what? If you are looking for the health implications of weed then you might get more than you bargained for from me so I wouldn't bother.

Scotland is a beautiful country. Amsterdam, well for a start, it isn't a country but a city in a country.

12. bozigle macrumors regular

right my bad... Netherlands.

please that would be a first for me to get some "scientific facts on Canabis health's implication"... propaganda yeah i did get plenty... scientific facts going in that direction... never

check on wikipedia or there
    http://www.brookes.ac.uk/health/libra/cannabis.html!

There is no hard fact to support danger of canabis where as Alcohol and cigarets can't pretend the same... and they are legal.
    Canabis is only a political issue and has never been a scientific one.
    The fact that A bunch of countries still continue to consider it as a criminal act is really sad and hypocrite...

bozigle

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That's certainly true. One group that was against the repealing of the 18th amendment was the mafia, as it resulted in an enormous amount of money for them.

14. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You must find a society based on freedom in general and personal responsibility specifically very uncomfortable then.

15. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Wait, wait, wait - am I being expected to excuse Vick along with the clinic. The clinic I don't want to get into - too complex an issue with too much at stake.

Michael Vick, on the other hand, is a moron. First, I would think that most Americans who travel (and based on TV coverage of Falcons games, I assume that he doesn't get to stay home during away games) would know that you can't bring a water bottle on board an airplane. He doesn't bring it, nothing happens. Then, he is brilliant enough to have a "secret compartment." Who is this guy? Bringing anything in a secret compartment is nuts in this era. A hidden pocket in your jeans - maybe. But a hidden compartment in the water bottle? What, was he going to smuggle embryos out of Jurrasic Park? Moron, moron, moron.

And, DHM, why did even put this in Current Events? You know it's going to Politics...

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I just wanted to point out on the record that this is something that we are in complete agreement on. :)

17. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is what happens when Politicians make laws not based on Science, why let a little science or facts control the issue when its just easier to sell lies & spin. This is another example where the cure is more dangerous then the actual cause. It costs this nation billions in its drug wars and games for building the police state. It just NeoCon nonsense just as Nixons response to a scientific study on this was. He ended up discarding it because it didnt support his preconcieved ideas. Like prohibition the weed laws are a failure. All we are doing is running in circles while it has been proven to help people with different medical illness. To say it has no medicinal purpose is an outright lie, It has helped many patients but the feds are hell bent on their laws written decades ago that had nothing to do with science. More Politicians needing those WMDs in any form even made up false ones.

We can do a better job controling Marijuana by making it Legal then we can by keeping it underground. Politicians and Drug Dealers would loose out though and we cant have that can we?

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You can still get lung cancer from smoking marijuana, although the medical vaporizers drop that risk to nearly zero from my understanding. It is still an addictive substance, even if it's addiction level and side effects are much lower than other drugs. It does raise your heart rate and blood pressure, which can be risky for people with heart / circulation problems.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no square, nor am I in favor of continued criminalization of marijuana. But I do think we should deal in the realm of facts, and the fact is that there ARE health risks associated with marijuana use, particularly if you regularly smoke it.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

i agree but this notion probably has to end at pot. Other drugs such as meth, heroin/opium, LSD, MDMA will have to stay illegal.

Still the day where you can buy marijuana cigarettes is far off. Maybe they could freeze me until then.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What's interesting (at least in the UK) is that when Heroin was available on perscription there were only about 100 addicts in the country. Also at least in the UK at least 50% of crime is committed by drug addicts so if those drugs were available on prescription the crime rate would drop significantly.

21. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree with both you & Mactastic. There are some very dangerous drugs that should be treated very harshly, weed though isnt one of them so to treat it the same is illogical. Another argument I have is the falseness of weed being a gateway drug, its the drug dealer who will be sure to try to get little johny or whoever trying something that really is dangerous and addicting. Thats the gateway. I think society would be better served by controling this through legal means and using those funds for education,control and road building or whatever.

22. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I still have a very hard time believing that cannabis consumption puts me at the same lung cancer risk as do cigarettes. I don't know how many countless articles I've read on the topic over the years from both sides of the fence. I've been smoking consistently for the past couple of years and have yet to experience any health problems, no coughing, hacking, loss of breath, snoring or anything. There are actually many reports claiming that THC contains some active chemicals that help prevent against cancer in the lungs and other areas.

Although I highly doubt many readers on this board will believe me.

jon

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm not saying it puts you in the same risk catagory as a cigarette smoker, just that it increases your risk compared to a non-smoker. :)

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

just scrape your bong. that resin cant be that good for your lungs.

however much I'd like to agree with you, I don't think its TOTALLY out of the question to get lung cancer from grass. Although i think there are less harmful chemicals in pot smoke than cigarette.

25. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I've used quite a bit of drugs with moderate spanned out use (LSD, MDMA, Mushrooms, THC) and I have yet to see my health and body change in any ways then it was before.

I'd probably say the most dangerous drug I do is alcohol and the Chick-fil-a sandwiches I eat often :)

jon