Week 40 iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Hoo03, Oct 8, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

This morning my local BestBuy received new shipment of 16GB iPod touch and I noticed that they were week 40 model.

After going through display issues with my previous week 37 and 38 models, I am hoping that I finally got a "good" one.

Wish me luck and I will report back later!

2. macrumors 6502

SirithX

Great. Some week 38s and even 39s supposedly seem to still have some issues according to people here, so here's hoping that all the 40s are perfect, once and for all.

3. macrumors 68030

I wonder if the problem with Week 37 units hasn't made people a little too hyper-aware of how blacks are appearing on the screen. (I'm not saying people shouldn't worry or whatever, as there are still bound to be some defective units no matter what the production batch.)

The problematic Week 37 units were really bad, as in there was no viewing angle at all where you could watch movies decently, except maybe cartoons with only bright colors or something.

Now people are studying web sites with test patterns, and worrying if they can't see the proper pattern at the extreme ends of the scale (light and dark.) I don't blame them, as the earlier problems now make people worry they're not getting a quality unit for the $300 or $400, but keeping things in perspective will help overall. Don't get trapped in the equivalent of audiophile hell either, which is when people listen to their gear, and not the music.

4. macrumors 68000

lofight

the ipod touches still haven't arrived in the Belgium apple premium reseller, they say it could arrive any minute, and my dad orderded one now to be sure he will get one, but from what week would thoose ipod touches likely be?

5. macrumors 65816

I have one 38 and one 39. Screens are great and the two touches look identical. However, the supplied earbuds suck. Neither my wife nor I can fit them in our ears.

Are we the only ones?

6. macrumors member

Yeah, I prefer the older ear buds that were smaller from a couple years back. The new style falls out of my left ear.

7. macrumors newbie

cameron.ob

hopefully my week 39 coming in the mail will be fine

8. thread starter macrumors regular

And the verdict is...

I think I found a keeper! I am happy to report that my week 40 iPod is thankfully solid.

Finally, I think I will be able to enjoy it. No dead pixels, no hissing sound and improved black level make me a happy new owner.

9. macrumors 604

gkarris

Thanks!

Finally, the Touches seem much better. The display one at Best Buy today had a great screen on it too and they just put that one out.

Looks like weeks 39+ should be a keeper.

The earlier weeks, if it had a bad screen, Apple did a bandaid with the firmware fix, which I think is kinda bogus...

10. macrumors 68030

Did you try putting foam pads on them? I had the same problem as you, and found that putting foam pads helped a lot with fit.

11. macrumors 65816

too bad they don't give you foam pads anymore

12. macrumors member

Yup. I picked up like 150 of them off ebay a while back for real cheap

13. macrumors member

I'm using the Sennheiser Sports headphones. They go around the back of the head, and over each ear, with the ear bud sittings firmly in the ear. They're designed for people who jog, etc., but the sound quality is great and they never (can't) move within the ear. They seal up very well. The only downside is that they're green, but I can now use them when I cycle.

14. macrumors newbie

Just wondering is there any backlight bleeding on your week 40 touch? That has been my main issue.

15. thread starter macrumors regular

It has a slight backlight bleeding on top left hand corner. But I remember seeing that on my previous wk#37 and #38.

16. macrumors newbie

That makes me super curious...

That's where my bleeding is! Do all of the iPod touches have slight bleeding in the top left? Do you mean top left when it is on its side or upright?
    I mean on its side.

17. thread starter macrumors regular

Top left when you hold iPod touch upright. (i.e. above Safari icon) But it is barely visible. Or I am imagining things...

18. macrumors 68000

lofight

what's a bleeding backlight?

19. macrumors 68040

Do yourself a favour and buy a new headphones. Seriously, the Apple-headphones are absolute crap.

20. macrumors 6502

My week 38 has no problems with the screen at all. It's all a lucky dip no matter what week it seems.

21. thread starter macrumors regular

It occurs when light source behind the screen spills over to the front of the screen. So it can have a slightly brighter area in some spots.

22. macrumors 6502

23. thread starter macrumors regular

4th and 5th digit of serial number represents the week of your iPod production.

24. macrumors member

I got my week 40 from Best Buy on Monday and so far no problems. This is my first iPod so I'm still learning how to use it.

25. macrumors 68040

queshy

Im waiting for FS to get week 40s so i can return my week 38 which has a ton of stuck pixels...Im just angry because I dont want to use the iPod til I get a good one..no sense getting it all used before returning it...