Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Inspired by the record breaking heat we have been having of late (Downunder), but open to interpretation however you may see fit, I've decided to go with the theme of "Red Hot" for this weeks competition. Take it literal with something red, maybe a fireplace or a bon-fire, fireworks, etc... or go cryptic on me. The main thing is to have fun with the theme of "Red Hot" and explore it as you see fit.

Rules:
  • Be creative and have fun.
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.
  • The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread.)
  • At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

RedOctober

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2015
West side of Oz
DSC_5819b web.jpg

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
OK folks, the competitions closed for this week!

As it's Christmas Day downunder right now, I'll be back with the results later on this evening. Have a great day wherever you are!

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
@butch10x Mary certainly made for a red hot model! The lighting is great, not that I'm an expert there. The touch of red on the lips really pops in this image and it's perfect for this theme.

@Indydenny I wish I caught your image before you withdrew it.

@glenthompson That is one red hot sky! I enjoyed the receding colours of the mountains and the glints of reflections in the foreground. Your deck looks like the perfect spot to kick back and watch the daylight fade away!

@RedOctober I love this for it's apparent simplicity! Which I know it wasn't all that simple to capture. You have gotten the perfect amount of detail in the lit head of the match and still retained the subtle colour, not easy to do at all. Well done!

@Hughmac No need to apologise for any repetition, it's similar, but different enough to stand on it's own legs! I love that lick of flame to the left and the gentle glow to the coals. Again difficult to capture, but very nicely done! The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 looks nice and sharp to me, enjoy her!

@deep diver I love quartz and haven't seen red inclusions before, just rusty coloured ones. A great image which captured the essence of the quartz beautifully and that splash of red is so vivid and striking it makes the image in my eyes.

@oblomow A very different take on the theme, especially with the finishing! This would have made a great Christmas card to send off to all your friends and relatives.

@E3BK The energy in your image really grabbed me, from the moment it opened on my screen! When you have captured a "moment" like this one, the low-light noise is a non-issue.

@monokakata Wow! A really striking image and subtly done with the red and orange stripe of lava making its way across the image! I love the contrast of colours, with the red against the grey.

@Apple fanboy Talk about perfect timing and being in the right right place to make a great image! The symmetry is bang-on the money! Well done. These guys amaze me with just how close the actually get to each other with these aerial displays.

OK folks, now for the hard part! Choosing some winners. In my eyes all images this week were of a great level, so well done to all who entered.

3rd - @Apple fanboy
2nd - @E3BK
1st - @monokakata

Honourable mentions, in my eyes have to go to @Hughmac , @RedOctober and @butch10x !

Congratulations @monokakata and over to you for next weeks competition!

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Thanks to Alexander.Of.Oz for for great judging, and congrats to the winners, and thanks very much for the mention :)

I think that lens is a keeper!

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
@butch10x Mary certainly made for a red hot model! The lighting is great, not that I'm an expert there. The touch of red on the lips really pops in this image and it's perfect for this theme.

@Indydenny I wish I caught your image before you withdrew it.

@glenthompson That is one red hot sky! I enjoyed the receding colours of the mountains and the glints of reflections in the foreground. Your deck looks like the perfect spot to kick back and watch the daylight fade away!

@RedOctober I love this for it's apparent simplicity! Which I know it wasn't all that simple to capture. You have gotten the perfect amount of detail in the lit head of the match and still retained the subtle colour, not easy to do at all. Well done!

@Hughmac No need to apologise for any repetition, it's similar, but different enough to stand on it's own legs! I love that lick of flame to the left and the gentle glow to the coals. Again difficult to capture, but very nicely done! The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 looks nice and sharp to me, enjoy her!

@deep diver I love quartz and haven't seen red inclusions before, just rusty coloured ones. A great image which captured the essence of the quartz beautifully and that splash of red is so vivid and striking it makes the image in my eyes.

@oblomow A very different take on the theme, especially with the finishing! This would have made a great Christmas card to send off to all your friends and relatives.

@E3BK The energy in your image really grabbed me, from the moment it opened on my screen! When you have captured a "moment" like this one, the low-light noise is a non-issue.

@monokakata Wow! A really striking image and subtly done with the red and orange stripe of lava making its way across the image! I love the contrast of colours, with the red against the grey.

@Apple fanboy Talk about perfect timing and being in the right right place to make a great image! The symmetry is bang-on the money! Well done. These guys amaze me with just how close the actually get to each other with these aerial displays.

OK folks, now for the hard part! Choosing some winners. In my eyes all images this week were of a great level, so well done to all who entered.

3rd - @Apple fanboy
2nd - @E3BK
1st - @monokakata

Honourable mentions, in my eyes have to go to @Hughmac , @RedOctober and @butch10x !

Congratulations @monokakata and over to you for next weeks competition!
Thanks for the 3rd place. I will confess to a bit of cropping to get the symmetry.
Well done @monokakata on the win. Well deserved.
Also thanks for taking the time to do the critique at this busy time of year.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Thanks, Alexander of Oz. I hope you're enjoying Boxing Day as much as I enjoyed the other entries, perhaps deep diver's the most.

My shot is from a helicopter, perhaps 15' off the ground. I was on the chopper because I won a local contest and the prize was to go along with the island's best lava photographer (Bruce Omori) and the island's best lava videographer (Mick Kalber). They fly over this eruption, courtesy a local helicopter company, each week. It's doors-off and down low and tremendously exciting. When I was preparing my equipment (Nikon D810 and 70-200 f/2.8 and 300 f/4) Bruce said -- "Take off the lens shade. Once we're in the air, the first time you stick it out the door it'll be gone; ISO as high as you're comfortable with, shutter priority. It's impossible to change a lens, so leave the 300 behind."

I'll be up on another one of our mountains today (Mauna Kea) but will be thinking about a contest, and will report tomorrow (December 26th). Remember that I'm 5 hours earlier than US Eastern time (but later than Australian time although on a different day).

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Congratulations @monokakata and the other winners! Well judged Alex and especially on Christmas day, I'd have been tempted to put it off until tomorrow! :) Unfortunately for me the contest closed hours before we lit our Christmas fire but it wouldn't have come up to monokakata's entry. Look forward to seeing what next week's contest will be.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks, Alexander of Oz. I hope you're enjoying Boxing Day as much as I enjoyed the other entries, perhaps deep diver's the most.

My shot is from a helicopter, perhaps 15' off the ground. I was on the chopper because I won a local contest and the prize was to go along with the island's best lava photographer (Bruce Omori) and the island's best lava videographer (Mick Kalber). They fly over this eruption, courtesy a local helicopter company, each week. It's doors-off and down low and tremendously exciting. When I was preparing my equipment (Nikon D810 and 70-200 f/2.8 and 300 f/4) Bruce said -- "Take off the lens shade. Once we're in the air, the first time you stick it out the door it'll be gone; ISO as high as you're comfortable with, shutter priority. It's impossible to change a lens, so leave the 300 behind."

I'll be up on another one of our mountains today (Mauna Kea) but will be thinking about a contest, and will report tomorrow (December 26th). Remember that I'm 5 hours earlier than US Eastern time (but later than Australian time although on a different day).
Sounds like a lot of fun. Much more exciting than flying a drone!

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Thanks for the podium placement @Alexander.Of.Oz! What a lovely Christmas present ;) Well done on the commentaries and to everyone who submitted an entry. Indeed @monokakata's photo perfectly encapsulated the theme this week. Beautifully well done.

I almost wasn't going to enter this week as there really wasn't anything in my more recent photos that fit the theme very well that I liked enough. But as I was doing some New Years tidy-up, I found that photo from my film days that I had scanned...I think 1999? Maybe 2000? If memory serves me correctly...that is Fujicolor Superia 800 that it was shot on and that is Dr. Oop who is spitting Bars aka rapping. I started out shooting concerts because no one had money for photographers for my articles. haha. Anyway, I'm glad I found it and so happy you enjoyed it.

@monokakata - If you could add the new contest our new Master List, it would be much appreciated. Perhaps add a line to the rules?
"The 1st place winner will add their new contest to the Master List once posted."

To those that celebrate it in the US...Merry Christmas! To our UK friends, Happy Boxing Day!

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks for the podium placement @Alexander.Of.Oz! What a lovely Christmas present ;) Well done on the commentaries and to everyone who submitted an entry. Indeed @monokakata's photo perfectly encapsulated the theme this week. Beautifully well done.

I almost wasn't going to enter this week as there really wasn't anything in my more recent photos that fit the theme very well that I liked enough. But as I was doing some New Years tidy-up, I found that photo from my film days that I had scanned...I think 1999? Maybe 2000? If memory serves me correctly...that is Fujicolor Superia 800 that it was shot on and that is Dr. Oop who is spitting Bars aka rapping. I started out shooting concerts because no one had money for photographers for my articles. haha. Anyway, I'm glad I found it and so happy you enjoyed it.

@monokakata - If you could add the new contest our new Master List, it would be much appreciated. Perhaps add a line to the rules?
"The 1st place winner will add their new contest to the Master List once posted."

To those that celebrate it in the US...Merry Christmas! To our UK friends, Happy Boxing Day!
It's not Boxing Day for another 3 hours in the UK. But Merry Christmas to you to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.