Weekly Photo Contest Jan 8 - Jan 15 (Theme: Early Work)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sideonecincy, Jan 8, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Weekly Photo Contest - Dec. 29 - Jan 4 (Theme: Early Work)
    Welcome folks to this weeks photo thread!

Theme: Early Work.
    This will require everyone to be honest with their work. Please post your best or favorite photo when you were just a few months into shooting photos. It is interesting to look at your early photos and compare it to stuff you are shooting today to see how different/better/worse you have progressed.

So any subject is allowed. Please state when you started shooting and when you shot the picture. I think 6 months should be the maximum amount of time allowed between when you started shooting and the photo.

Hope this is clear :D

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

2. Hankster, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

macrumors 68020

Hankster

This category is a little tricky, as many photographers took photos for years before they became serious about the craft. I didn't start getting into photography until 2009. This was one of my first macro shots. It was a flower in my neighbor's yard. It was about the size of a nickle.

[​IMG]

3. macrumors 6502

MacInnes, March 11, 2009, IMG_0046, first one I kept (started following Doylem's "delete" advice right away). $120 50mm f/1.8 plastic lens on a 50D. Loved the lighting ...

Attached Files:

• mac.jpg
      mac.jpg
      File size:
      812.7 KB
      Views:
  4. macrumors 6502a

deep diver

This is opal in an ironstone matrix. I shot it at Chicago's Field Museum in 2006 about a month after I got my first DSLR (Nikon D50).

Attached Files:

5. macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    000010_Edit by plainfacedproductions

One from my first roll of film... Taken 2011
    I've taken point and shoot film and digital for years. But this was when I got my first SLR, that wasn't my dads.

Now I own an ILC (K-01) and I'm never going back to film..

6. ijohn.8.80, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

I purchased my 1100D/T3 in July of last year and took this shot on the 20th of December. I think it's my best use of equipment, programs, space and light thus far.

1100D/T3, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, ISO 100, 7 shot (neutral) composite in Photomatix Pro & the real work was done in Photoshop.

[​IMG]

7. macrumors 68030

andalusia

Very interesting theme. Veeeery interesting...

[​IMG]
    strum. by tristangage, on Flickr

Camera Canon EOS 300D Digital
    Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)
    Aperture f/4.0
    Focal Length 75 mm
    ISO Speed 100

This was just about when I was getting into photography as a hobby. This is a photograph taken of my father when we were staying in a cottage in Harmby, Yorkshire. My own camera was a point and shoot with manual capabilities which I had been using artistically for about 4 months and was quickly outgrowing, but here I was using my Dad's EOS 300D (First Digital Rebel) for a bit more practise with quality, using a zoom lens to achieve a shallower depth of field. This was taken over 3 years ago, in August 2009. The interesting thing about this is that it's still one of my favourite photographs that I've ever taken. So does that mean I've not improved at all since my first forays into photography, or does it mean this photo was just a bit of a flukey good'un? Or maybe it just means this photo means something to me..

8. macrumors 65816

fitshaced

9. macrumors 65816

[​IMG]
    totel by simbojono, on Flickr

On of the earliest pics on my flickr account, all my earlier stuff I've never scanned in.

Shot on 35mm Ilford HP5 on an Olympus OM10 (my first camera). The project was looking at squatters on the east end of London, this guy wouldn't let me take his photo, but I snuck a picture of his reflection on the roof whilst we were looking at the view. He saw it after it was processed and didn't mind. Heard a rumour he took his own life a month or so after this was shot..... Never been confirmed though. Nice bloke.

10. macrumors 6502

One of my earliest. Been only shooting a couple of months at this point
    [​IMG]
    DSC_1016 by dspector32, on Flickr

11. macrumors 65816

NZed

[​IMG]
    IMG_1513 by Hellhelium2008, on Flickr

Lake Tekapo, New Zealand

Personally I love it. If you've been there, you would know how blue the lake is on a sunny day.

First year I believe.

12. macrumors 6502

Melizard

Back when I didn't know how to use anything but "auto" (still learning!):

[​IMG]
    Weeds by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

13. macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I only got my DSLR in April, so I'm still pretty new. Here is a shot from my first outing with the camera.

[​IMG]

14. macrumors 6502a

genshi

Revealing my age now...

Yikes! Ok, here is my first self-portrait when I was 20 years old back in 1984. Again, remember, this was 1984; this is what musicians looked like back then, almost 30 years ago! :eek:

Can't remember the camera, maybe the Canon AE1? And the photo was processed and printed in the [actual] darkroom by me.

[​IMG]

15. macrumors newbie

First time poster. Bought my first digital camera (Sony DSC-P9) the summer of 2002. Here's a picture of a water lilly from my family vacation that summer. Forget the location.

Attached Files:

16. macrumors 65816

AlexH

17. macrumors member

18. macrumors 6502

pakyooh

Taken a few days after I purchased my first SLR (T1i) in 2009.

[​IMG]

19. macrumors 68040

Badrottie

IMG_0013.JPG

20. macrumors 68020

Chappers

This was one when I started out with a new zoom lens and my first SLR
    [​IMG]

21. macrumors member

Sunrise over Horsetooth Reservoir as seen from Horsetooth Rock

From the first time I ever went on an adventure with the sole focus to take some pictures...with my Canon SD300 ELPH and its 256 MB SD card. This is the picture that lead me to start playing with dSLRs.

Attached Files:

22. macrumors regular

Got my first digital camera in 2004 to go on a trip across Europe. Came across this picture of Salzburg Castle on a hike. Was one of the first 10 keeper pictures I ever took with digital.

Attached Files:

23. macrumors 68040

acearchie

Taken in 2006 when I was 14 years old. I borrowed my Dad's Hi-end P&S and starting playing around with it. We were at the Le Mans 24hr and as the light started to drop I began to get blurry pictures. I asked my Dad about it and he explained shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Whilst the others were lost on me I sort of understood shutter speed and this is my favourite shot that I managed to capture and really ignited a passion in photography that I still have today.

Looking back at it, it's pretty noisy for ISO200!

[​IMG]
    Yellow Car by acearchie, on Flickr

24. macrumors member

Since I got my first DSLR about 2 months ago, everything so far is "early work".

Here's one of the first "Keepers" I took (Nov. 2012).

[​IMG]
    IMG_0821 by Puckman2012, on Flickr

25. macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

[​IMG]

One of the earliest that I still have floating around. This was 4 years ago when I got my first DSLR (Pentax K10D).