Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rkolsen, Dec 17, 2006.

1. rkolsen macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Have any of you been to a Wegman's. Its a supermarket but on steroids. I live near the one in Baltimore, and every-time I go in there, about once a week, it never ceases to amaze me. My Wegmans has:
    • Asian Foods
    • Automated Teller Machines (ATMs)
    • Bulk Foods
    • Cheese Shop
    • Coffee/Cappuccino Bar
    • Coin Redemption Self Service
    • Complements
    • Customer Service and Customer Education
    • Deli
    • European Bread Bakery
    • Floral Department
    • Gift and Fruit Baskets
    • International Foods
    • Kosher Deli
    • Market Cafe
    • Meat Customer Service Counter
    • Money Orders
    • Money Transfer
    • Nature's Marketplace
    • Old Fashioned Sub Shop
    • Organic Produce
    • Pasta
    • Patisserie
    • Pharmacy
    • Photo Processing
    • Pizza
    • Produce
    • Ready-To-Cook Meat and Seafood
    • Rotisserie
    • Seafood Department
    • Sushi Bar
    • Sweet Images Personalized Cakes
    • That's T.H.E. Ticket
    • UPS
    • Wi-Fi Internet Access
    • Wokery
    • Wood-Fired Brick Oven
    I recently discovered there are NY Bagels, which happen to be the best in baltimore.
    Even at 10PM on a Saturday night this store is crowded, and I believe the store employs 800 people.
    Have any of you been to a Wegmans?
  2. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2004
    Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
    wegmans is a mid-atlantic chain ... enjoyed it when I lived there. In Houston there is Central Market .... nice too!
  3. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    I like Wegmans too. I travel quite often to Central & Western New York and Souther Tier regions. My first choice of picking up dinner during those business trips is at Wegmans if it is available. They typically have hot Chinese food (where you can pick your favorite and they charge you by pound) and salada bar and deli.

I was not aware they have stores in Maryland.

My second favorite is Harris Teeter.
  4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    I live down the road from one (Amherst, NY) and that's where my gf and I do most of the shopping. They also have a local roast beef shop (Charlie the Butcher) that is in there as this makes a nice lunch spot for many.
    Biggest thing is it's always clean, at least the ones I've been in which are five maybe six in the area I live. I knew alot of people that worked there from school as they really try to work with students and their class schedules.
    Over all it's a nice place to shop, fresh stock and good food for lunch or dinner.
  5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    i used to work at a wegmans during high school. :p i will say that i haven't found any other grocery store chain that i like as much as wegmans. unfortunately, there are none out here in california...
  6. cslewis macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2004
    40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
    Wegmans is an excellent grocery store! A few of my friends work there, and they're really flexible about scheduling around school, sports, etc. Our family shops only at Wegmans and local mom-and-pop stores.
  7. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    I love -- and miss -- Wegmans so much that I occasionally talk about it in threads on this very forum. Do a search for Wegmans and see what you find. :p

I first came across Wegmans while in college in Scranton, PA., and then later during 4 years in Ithaca, NY. I've never come across such a wonderful grocery store -- the fresh pasta they make -- the fresh meals always available -- the quality of the produce -- the information kiosks ...

Such that:

I was wandering my local A&P in greater Hartford yesterday and couldn't find gravy anywhere. I was getting really pissed off -- this cramped store with the obnoxious staff and the gravylessness. But my first thought?

"If I was in Wegmans, I could just go up to the kiosk and type in gravy. Do these people expect me to know the default location of gravy? If this were Wegmans, I'd have the gravy by now."

God I miss Wegmans ... :(
  8. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

Mar 11, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    I worked at Wegmans in High School, and they are a great company.. Fantastic Grocery store.

We have AJ's, Bashas, and the huge mega Safeway and some other nice stores her in AZ.. but nothing exactly like wegmans.
  9. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    A lot of people in Moorestown were obsessed with it when it opened, i refused to take part in it. I visited one the other day for the first time and i have to say, while i was impressed at the store's layout and food choices, it was not much more impressive as a market than any other "upscale" market i've been to. The dining section was very neat, food quality good, and overall scene was nice, but to me it just wasn't something to obsessive over like so many other people.

EDIT: woah, 1500th post!
  10. rkolsen thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I also like the fact that it is extremely clean. They have Purell dispensers everywhere. The bathrooms, they had seat covers, seat cleaners, and purell in the stall, it was like no mens bathroom I have seen.
  11. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

Mar 11, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    Thats the one thing the I use to explain wegmans to people. Its cleanliness and attention to detail. "If you go to wegmans and walk up to any produce product and grab a random piece of fruit it will be completely clean, edible and perfect to buy. Its just a different shopping experience. When you go to any other supermarket you have to hunt for a tomato you would be willing to eat. There are times where I cant find anything other than the bland-gassed junk - while at wegmans every tomato on the shelf is good and there are tons of different tomatoes to choose from.
  12. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I moved from Fairfax, where I had a wegmans right down the street, to Bethesda... where there isn't one at all. I miss getting a 12" sub with EVERYTHING, including what seemed to be the whole turkey... for only $7...

They have great sushi there too...

I've actually driven about 40 minutes from Bethesda to Fairfax, just for Wegmans...
  13. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

Dec 29, 2004
    The Wood of Spots, NJ
    Best grocery store, by far. The office odrers lunch from Wegmans at least 3 times a week- so many choices! They make awesome ceasar salad's, they have awesome pizza, wings, subs, sushi, soup.... I could go on and on. Fantastic all around. Very clean too- and I hear they are a great place to work for.
  14. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003