Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
How noticeable is it after a few weeks of use? I like the MBA so much but working in design, retina seems to be the future, is the rMBP a big difference carrying it round all day? At the store you can feel a difference but wondered if any MBA owners who moved to rMBP felt regret?

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
How noticeable is it after a few weeks of use? I like the MBA so much but working in design, retina seems to be the future...

For the serious designer who needs heavy processing power in the field, there is no substitute for the rMBP. It's also a good one computer solution. I can see however, using the Air for your road machine and having a MP back in the office.

Efrem

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
If you compare 13" models of both, the MBA weighs 3 pounds, the rMBP 3.6. Given that you're not going to carry either of them by itself, but probably in a bag of some sort along with assorted other stuff, the difference is negligible.

If you mean an 11" MBA and/or a 15" rMBP the difference is larger, but then it's not apples-to-apples (though it's still Apple to Apple).

Retops

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Oklahoma
Enjoying the rMBP

My long-serving MBA did not enjoy its most recent bath and had to be replaced. I went to the store to get another MBA but after handling the MBP 13 retina, I decided to go with that. I am very happy with the decision and the extra weight was not even noticed in my case.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
I have to admit that I've become accustomed to the MBA's tapered front and how simple it is to pick up with one hand off a table. Not because its lighter, but because my fingertips slide right under the taper and can pivot it up and off the table with ease. I found with the 15" rMPB that I had to use two hands to lift it up slightly to get under it enough before picking it up.

Not that this should define which one to purchase, but its amazing the little things that you miss once they are gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.