Weird #1: new user accounts don't show up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wiseguy27, May 22, 2005.

1. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

[Note: I'm new to using Macs, with a previous history of being a Windows Power User. I use Mac OS X v10.4 - Tiger]

During the first time boot of the Mac, I setup a single user account (which by default is the administrator). Now I decided to add some user accounts and did that in 'Apple->System Preferences->Accounts'. I also disabled auto-login for the default user. The 'Other accounts' option in this preference dialog is still disabled. Initially I thought I probably did something wrong, but when I tried to create the same account again, it said that the account already exists.

I've also tried logging out of my default (administrator) account. It does not show the other users in the login dialog - it shows only the administrator account! As a last ditch effort I also restarted the Mac - it still shows only the administrator account in the login dialog!

Why wouldn't it show me the accounts I've created? Now I can't login as any other user! The home directories for the new users are seen under /Users/.

Neither the included help documentation nor the Apple support site have any information about this.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

2. wiseguy27 thread starter macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Worked with a workaround!

Thanks a bunch! That really helped!

For some reason, Tiger doesn't like to create new accounts when sharing of any kind is on (I had 'FTP Access' on for transferring files from my Windows PC). I turned sharing off and now any new users created show up immediately under 'Other Accounts' (the ones I created before still don't show up - they probably didn't get created at all, except for their home directory being created).

Just today morning I was thinking that I should probably register in the Apple discussion forums and look there too for answers - didn't get to it before I hit this issue.

I hope they fix silly bugs like these soon! I went ahead and filed a bug report about this with the hopes of increasing the priority of bugs like these. :)