Weird beeping noise through my monitors

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Alexandern, Aug 8, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2013

I've got a macbook pro which I'm using an external audio interface with x2 studio monitors, I'm also monitoring my mac to a screen with the HDMI mac converter. The beeping noise stops when I plug the HDMI converter out, but i would very much want to monitor my mac on a big screen and be able to listen trhough my monitors without this terrible beeping noise :)
  2. macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

May 13, 2013
    Does the beeping increase/decrease as you change the volume through your Mac?
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2013
    i have an external audio interface so i can only turn up the volume from there. The beeping does however not increase if i turn it up, though if i turn the volume on the monitor it increases...
  4. macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Just because you have an external audio interface doesn't mean your internal interface is disabled. Go to System Preferences > Sound >
    Output > Internal Speakers. After selecting the internal speakers adjust the output volume to 0 and then switch to back top your external interface.

There could be an app somewhere still registered to use the internal card, a lot of DAW's manually control which card to use for whatever purpose you see fit.
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2013
    Did not work :/ i turned down the internal volume to 0 and then restarted my external audio interface and it still beeps :/
  6. macrumors newbie

Nov 16, 2014
    Same problem

Hi! Sorry for pushing this old thread but I have exactly the same problem since I am using my MacBook in the studio, and not my old Windows PC any more.
    I am using Yosemite of course, but as I said it is exactly the same problem and also the noise/beep only disappears when not having a screen plugged in into the thunderbolt interface. I tried it with 3 monitors, 2 of them are LCDs, the other one is a new LED one.
    I also tried two different adapters: One is from thunderbolt to DVI, the other one from thunderbolt to HDMI, but the problem occurs everytime. When I am using my audio interface (M-Audio Mobile Pre MKII) via the Mac only the whole studio setup works fine, but with an external screen I didn't find any solution so far, although I already changed some cables, tried a lot of things within the systemsettings, drivers etc.

Does anybody have some more hints or is there already a solution? That would be great! Thanks in advance!