Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I run my MBA 2012 hooked up to a 27" Thunderbolt display. Everything is fine. But when I hook it up to my old Dell 2312HM display (mini displayport to display port) I experience a weird color issue on some elements in the browser (like buttons) It is different from browser to browser but most noticeable in Safari. When not hooked up to the external display everything is fine. See the attached image.

Can it be some sort of issue with the color profiles of both displays (built in and external) or maybe the cable? I could try to hook it up with a VGA cable and converter that I have laying around somewhere.

Any suggestions?

41024554.jpg

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I've had a similar problem that if I use the dell on displayport it sees the monitor as a television.

You can check if this is the case by checking out 'graphics/displays' in the system information utility, which you should be able to find using spotlight.

If this is the problem with yours, the way to fix it is by downloading and running the following ruby script, patch-edid.rb this creates a specific monitor profile for you that should fix it.

The folder that the script outputs needs to be put in the following folder:

/System/Library/Displays/Overrides

And then RGB mode is yours!

Good luck!

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Hmm. How do I run this script? Can it be run from anywhere on the machine? Sorry I am new to ruby scripts.

Edit: Tried a VGA cable and a converter to mini displayport and the problem is the same. The strange things is that one button (example) might show the correct gradient/color in chrome but not safari. And can it still be the RBG issue if it says RBG in the Dell menu (OSD)? It doesn't say Television: Yes in the system profile...

Last edited:

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Hmm. How do I run this script? Can it be run from anywhere on the machine? Sorry I am new to ruby scripts.

Edit: Tried a VGA cable and a converter to mini displayport and the problem is the same. The strange things is that one button (example) might show the correct gradient/color in chrome but not safari. And can it still be the RBG issue if it says RBG in the Dell menu (OSD)? It doesn't say Television: Yes in the system profile...

Ah, if it doesn't say television then I'm not entirely sure what the problem might be.

To run the script you should put the script file in your User root directory, open a terminal window and type 'ruby patch-edid.rb' without the quotes.

I could try looking at the site as I use a couple of dell monitors myself and a 2012 MBA, unless it's one that you're developing that you want to remain private.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
The big red call to action button on this page:

http://bit.ly/19bkFD0

It looks weird in safari when connected to the Dell monitor - but in Chrome that button looks fine. That being said the smaller red buttons on the same page looks weird in Chrome.

It really is strange. It's only the first part of the button - it shows the rest of the button just fine. Also I see some banding in some gradients. So could it maybe still be a problem with RBG - that it says it is RBG but in fact it is Ypbpr?

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
The big red call to action button on this page:

http://bit.ly/19bkFD0

It looks weird in safari when connected to the Dell monitor - but in Chrome that button looks fine. That being said the smaller red buttons on the same page looks weird in Chrome.

It really is strange. It's only the first part of the button - it shows the rest of the button just fine. Also I see some banding in some gradients. So could it maybe still be a problem with RBG - that it says it is RBG but in fact it is Ypbpr?

Might be that this is the problem, although not sure why it doesn't seem to show on my machine. I can't see the issue on either of my Dells.

http://css-tricks.com/color-rendering-difference-firefox-vs-safari/

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Problem solved!

Was messing around with the color profiles and suddenly the screen refreshed and colors looked right again. Strange... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.