Weird connection problems...

Discussion in 'Games' started by ScottDodson, Feb 14, 2005.

1. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2003
    Hey guys, I have searched high and low for some sort of solution, but I can't seem to find any. The problem is with my connection with mulitplayer games. I'm running off of a cable modem that is typically around 1meg down, and 224k up (results via broadband reports). Those numbers are, as you know, well above what is needed for any online game really. How can I possibly still be getting 500+ pings on many servers I have been playing on for years with pings around 20-60pings? I just moved, and thus the new connection (but not new cable provider, or far distance from servers is ruled out). I have no problem surfing the web, downloading large files, or any other broadband activities...why only with games? The only difference that has taken place is that I am now on a wireless game cfg's, settings have been made. It seems I am getting some HUGE packet loss while gaming, but not with anything else. Any ideas?

(I have tried changing maxpacket settings, and drop packet settings in game to no positive outcome)

Any help would be great!!

More info:
    Games: RTCW, Quake III (just to make sure it's not just rtcw settings or updates), warcraft III.

System: 867 G4, 768 ram, 10.3.7

connection: (via broadband reports)
    2005-02-14 06:35:09 EST: 926 / 226
    Your download speed : 949173 bps, or 926 kbps.
    A 115.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 232183 bps, or 226 kbps.

So I guess what it boils down to is the wireless connection? Anyone have any good tweaks, ideas to stop all the loss ONLY during gameplay? This just seems very odd to me.

Thanks in advance guys...
  2. ScottDodson thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2003
    Well I did a few more tests on my connection, and I believe I hit horrible loss while dealing with medium files...

low bandwidth stream
    10secs of 56k/bit ping stream 512byte packets
    0% loss

medium bandwidth stream
    10secs of 128k/bit ping stream 512byte packets
    91% loss

guessing that could have something to do with it :rolleyes: ? I did a little more research, and it turns out comcast has a few bad routers with horrible loss/downtime that I go though....

But my question still stands about using a wireless/wired network. Are there any tweaks any of you guys use to "optimize" your wireless con.? Is this even possible?