Weird Disk Volume problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by baummer, Oct 9, 2006.

1. baummer macrumors 6502a

I have an external hard drive connected via USB. Some months ago I moved and the computer sat dormant for awhile; as did the drive. When I started her up again a few weeks ago, I noticed it took forever to appear, despite the drive being on, being connected, and processing noises coming from the drive. Once it did, and when I click on it, I occassionally only get two folders, despite the dozens on there.

So, checking the Volumes folder via Terminal, I discovered something weird. It lists two volumes: External Drive and External Drive 1. It appears there's some sort of a cache issue. How can I fix this? Do I delete the External Drive from the Volumes folder and rename External Drive 1 to External Drive? I've tried unplugging the drive and plugging it back into my Mini, and nothing changes.

This is causing problems with my Smart Folders, as well as spotlight searching as it appears to be searching External Drive as opposed to External Drive 1, where things seem to be stored.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This also happen to me when I moved and left the computer down for sometime but my computer did eventually connect to my external(After taking 10 minutes to mount) without any files missing or moved. I would suggest trying disk utility(If you can) and repair as needed.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Bless

3. baummer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm..tried Disk Utility...wouldn't let me Verify/Repair stating that:

I did the test on another external drive I have and no problems. So what's going on does anyone think?