weird dock behavior

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ungar, Jun 1, 2006.

1. ungar macrumors member

Every so often, when I click any dock icon I get the application (or other object) shown in Finder rather than launched. Sometimes the problem corrects itself after a while, but most often I have to reboot my computer. Does anyone know why this is happening, and whether there's a fix?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you holding the COMMAND key at the time? Could a COMMAND key be stuck? :)

3. ungar thread starter macrumors member

No, I'm not. But that's exactly the effect I'm getting.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you got any key changing apps installed? Are you noticing any strange behaviour in other apps, as if the COMMAND key is stuck? Maybe try repairing permissions. :)

5. ungar thread starter macrumors member

I'm not experiencing the problem right now, but I'll try repairing permissions again, though I did it the other day.

I've been using Butler, and I wonder if it's not responsible for my problem. I'll try not running Butler for a week or two and see if the problem arises again. Does such a correlation seem plausible to you?

6. ungar thread starter macrumors member

Well, it just did it again, and Butler was not running. This time, I corrected the problem by changing users -- things worked for the other "user", then I changed back again and everything was fine. This is really weird.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Do you have an Apple Keyboard and a cluttered desk?

8. timmac macrumors member

When this happened to me, I just restarted and all was well.

9. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Ohh thanks I did not know about this little feature.

10. ungar thread starter macrumors member

The problem has gotten a lot worse since last night, though at least I can reproduce it now. It happens systematically every time I rouse my computer from sleep. Rebooting doesn't help; it works OK after a reboot, but when I put it to sleep and then rouse it, same problem. There's an easy fix: if I cmd -click a dock icon, thus showing the app in the Finder, then close the Finder window, everything works fine afterwards. Only I have to do that every single time I rouse my computer. It's annoying. So it seems indeed to be a problem with the cmd function, but in no other circumstance does my computer behave as though the cmd key were held down.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's a very weird problem. I don't know whether it's an issue with Finder or the Dock, although I suspect the latter. Either way, I'd start by trashing some preference files. Locate com.apple.dock.plist and com.apple.finder.plist and drag them to the Desktop, then restart. :)

12. ungar thread starter macrumors member

I tried that, and it didn't fix the problem, but just now (a couple of hours later), I'm not getting the problem any more. Go figure. Anyway, if it comes back, and since it doesn't occur with other users, the problem must reside in my Library or, perhaps, third-party software running only in my account, right?

13. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Don't you just love troubleshooting nonpersistant problems. :(

14. ungar thread starter macrumors member

Several days later . . . .

I think I've pinpointed the problem. It's when I put my computer to sleep using the keyboard combination cmd+alt+eject that I often, though not always, get this weird behavior upon awakening. When I just let it go to sleep, or put it to sleep with the on/off button, it behaves normally (so far). I wonder if someone else, preferably using os 10.4.6, could try. And is there any way of reporting this apparent bug to Apple?