Weird English/Japanese problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DaveinJapan, May 6, 2005.

1. DaveinJapan macrumors member

Oops...put this in the wrong forum earlier I think. Hopefully this is the right place!

Just bought my new 15" powerbook, which came with Panther pre-installed and a Tiger upgrade disc. No major problems so far, really cool machine.

We called Apple Care to get help with setting up 2 accounts, one for my wife in Japanese and the other for me in English. Per the recommendations of the guy who sold me the machine at the Apple store in Ginza, we did the initial set-up in Japanese.

For some reason, my entire account is in English except for iCal, which is in Japanese! On my wifes side, her iCal is in English (everything else is in Japanese). We called for help, and they had us re-install Tiger. Somehow, her account got fixed (all Japanese now) but mine still has the Japanese iCal. Also, and this is related I assume, the date in the upper right hand corner is in Japanese (it reads as Japanese Kanji for "Friday", instead of reading just as English "Friday").

Any suggestions?

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

My wife uses Japanese for her profile, mine is in english, i don't see the two blending together. if you would like me to take some pics of the international settings on my profiles id be happy to provide you with those. PM or email me :)

Ed

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I know it's a trite suggestion for *everything*, but this time I actually have a legitimate reason for making it. :D

Have you tried to repair permissions?

I think that the English localizations for iCal, for some reason, may have screwed up permissions, and her account (which is the first one created) has access to both sets of permissions, but you can only access the Japanese ones (which are system default because they were first).

BTW, also, are you both admins on the machine?

4. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

ACtually i think thats a great suggestion. I made my account first which was english, then i made my wife's account and set it for japanese. Also my account (english one) is the only Admin on the machine, the other one is a full rights user but not an admin. try setting the japanese account to a full rights user with no admin rights, repair permissions and see what happens then. Amazing what you dont think of when youre drinking too much.. :D

Ed

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm saving that for tomorrow night! :eek: ;) :D And if repairing permissions doesn't work the right way, we can try to hit that Library folder with some sudo chmod 777 action! :D

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I love geek talk at 11:05pm with teh b33r!!!

It sounds like a permissions issue now, this is why i setup my account first :D Not saying her account wasnt important but.. forget it im digging a hole here..

Ed

7. DaveinJapan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all. Yes, we are both admins. Is that an issue?

As for setting up mine first, is that the better way to go after all. It is a Japanese Mac (Japanese keyboard etc...), but I could re-install Tiger in English first if that seems better to you guys.

I'm going to try your suggestions. I was thinking that I'll do a re-install first anyway just for fun (since there is no data on the machine at the moment, so now seems the perfect time to set everything up right).

Here's another question...can I set up both accounts to have access to everything (data folders, pictures, applications, etc...) and only have the two languages be different? Originally (before the first re-install), I had some photos in there and they only showed up under my account, not hers. (of course, it's good to keep some stuff seperate too, but for the moment I'd like both of us to access everything from either account).

8. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I ran my install in English, and created my account in English, but sometimes for kicks I change it to Italian, and I've had no problems with it. In fact I just changed mine from English to Italian and it's still working fine in Tiger. I'd just make sure when you run the install choose a custom install and make sure that both Japanese and English versions are installed, and I second the trying to repair permissions before reinstalling everything.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, I'm not sure which answer I was looking for. :rolleyes: I would think this would be a good thing, because it would be less likely that you would have permissions issues with system files (since you both have more permissions as admins).

Yes, 'tis fun! :) Still, if you are not in the habit, after you re-install, repair permissions. Esp, if you install a bunch of software, I would recommend a repair permissions. With something like what you describe, you might need to reboot after repairing permissions to see an effect.

The technically "right" way to do this is to put the files you want common access to in a folder that does not sit in either of your home directories. You should both have access, by default, to "/users/shared/" which is one level up from your home directory. So you can create Pictures, etc, folders here, and then replace the respective folders in your home dir with aliases to the shared folder, if you want to.

AFAIK, how to do this correctly has nothing to do with the language each user has set up. Any user on your system should have access to files whether or not they were created in an account that matches their language. Demo, ne, kore wa rikutsu desu yo, ne? Genjitsu wa...ano...hoka no koto. :D