Weird FTP problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Albone, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Albone macrumors regular

I have a G5 and a PC in my office. Using fetch, transmit, cyberduck, etc, I can connect to (the same) various sites. There is one site, that I CAN'T connect to, using either my mac or PC in my office.

The kicker is that in another part of the building, using a G4 OS9, I can connect to the troublesome site that my office can't seem to connect to.

What's the deal? How is it that I can connect to some sites via ftp, but not others, while other mac's can connect to all of them? How can I fix this? Is this a firewall issue?

Thanks!

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If I had to guess, which is about all I can do given the information you've provided, it's that the problem servers are running WindowsXP. The flavor of ftp used by Microsoft isn't entirely the same as the protocol we know and love. It only works correctly with MSIE as a client (yup, another dirty Microsoft trick). The problem seems to be that the WinXP ftp server doesn't handle account names conventionally. Someone else might be able explain the technical issues better than I, but I have encountered this issue more than once.

The solution (for me) was to insert the username into the url when connecting, i.e.: If the ftp server's url is "ftp://server.generic.com" and your account name is "myaccount" the url that will work (in the OSX Finder) is "ftp://myaccount@server.generic.com"

Try that and see if it works.

3. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

Very cool suggestion. This worked with the sites that I could already go to, but the problem site I'm trying to connect to still did not connect. It gave me an -36 error.

We don't use a server for our internet connection.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Maybe not, but what OS is the troublesome ftp server running?

5. cubist macrumors 68020

To verify that it's not a firewall issue, try to connect to some other site from your office.

6. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

From my computer I can't get to only one ftp site. In another office, I CAN connect to the pesky ftp site. In another office all together, I have the same problem that my office has, can't connect to the pesky ftp site.

To review, my computer G5 with OS X, can't get to this one pesky site. I can get to other FTP sites though.

In another office on a G4, running OS 9, I can get to that pesky site AND all other ftp sites.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Have you tried accessing the *pesky* FTP server by IP address?

8. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, It gave me an -36 error.