Weird Graphical Glitches-Dual 2.5/Radeon 9800XT

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mercury, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Mercury macrumors regular

In a bunch of different games, I've noticed that there are all sorts of weird graphical artifacts affecting textures in a bunch of different games. Weird patterns occur on surfaces and many "sparklies" appear out of nowhere on more complex objects. I've noticed it in almost all the games I play-I can think of Halo, Elite Force, and Homeworld 2, so far. Attached is a sample I just grabbed. FSAA and shaders are turned off in all the games, so there should be no issues there. I was hoping that the latest ATI update would fix this, but I have no clue what's going on...

Attached Files:

2. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I had a similar problem with Call Of Duty and a 9600 card. The images would break up with bizarre colour patterns everywhere. I can only think it is a driver issue.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Could be a driver issue you may want to turn off your machine and reseat the videocard.

4. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Looks like a problem with a vertex, pixel shader implementation of the games. Turn-off those 2 features and your graphical glitch should be resolve.

5. benpatient macrumors 68000

(and your game will look like crap, too)

you shouldn't have to turn off shaders. Question: have you been messing with that overclocking utility that is fairly easy to find on the net for Radeon cards in OS X?

If so, you might want to lower your OC and try again. have you always seen these errors? or is it recent? Did you change something?

6. Mercury thread starter macrumors regular

Reseat it? I haven't touched it, ever. Is this necessary? (or did you mean reset...if so, how?)

And as I said, vertex and pixel shaders were off, and this happens in older games, too, like Elite Force 1.

I have not been messing with any utilities. It looked like this from the time I got the computer, but when I got it, I was playing mostly games that don't have the errors and then didn't have much time. Haven't changed anything, and it's been this way since I got it, unfortunately.

7. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Have you run software update lately? Is there space for heat to vent away from the computer? Do you have AppleCare?

8. Mercury thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, yes, and yes. I just now no longer live near an Apple Store. :(

It's a dual 2.5 anyway, so it's still under it's first year.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Many people who own Mac will tell you that Red, Green, or Blue sparklies appearing on screen are usually a sign that the card is overheating.

People usually come up with this when they play games or use dual monitors -- since these tax the card and that's usually when it overheats.

Sometimes, it'll be solved by getting Apple to replace the card -- since the cards heatsink may have shifted or not been placed correctly in production. Or it's simply a bad card.

Others who continue run into this problem, may end up having to replace the heatsink with an overclocker's unit -- because they house their computer in a warm room, and hammer the card.

Edit: However this goes beyond the normal artifacts people experience with hot cards, so there may be something else wrong with the drivers or card.

And by re-seat, they mean remove and reinstall the card.

10. benpatient macrumors 68000

if you've not been overclocking, then you need to take that thing in and have it fixed. There is probably an issue with the VRAM overheating...possibly a corruption elsewhere on the board. It could be your motherboard, as well. The AGP slot could have a defect that doesn't show up in 2D environments (and thus might not get noticed by quality control at Apple).

Are there any games that DON'T give you these errors?

11. a2daj macrumors member

I'd say it's a bad video card. The last time I saw artifacting like that was a when I had a bad Voodoo 5 card. Get it AppleCared.

12. Mercury thread starter macrumors regular

I've seen varying degrees, depending on the complexity of the textures in most games. I think the few that don't just have a different kind of textures...most I've seen small evidence of glitches, at least.

13. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

14. Mercury thread starter macrumors regular

It's not just Halo. It's Elite Force, Homeworld 2, etc.