Weird Graphics Issues on Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by JohnGillilan, Dec 4, 2003.

1. JohnGillilan macrumors regular

Files on my desktop tend to "grow" this outline around them depending on how long they are there. When I drag them someplace else, it usually goes away, but it sometimes leaves its "residue" where it was originally. Minor bug, but just wondering if anyone's seen it or have any ideas of how to get rid of it.

Attached Files:

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've seen that once on my G4, and have never seen it on my iBook. I've had the G4 for about 31 hours now :D

3. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

Are you guys running any hacks? Example, I have transparent dock running. However, I have none of these issues... Was that on a clean install?

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I have a similar problem but it only happens in Microsoft Word whenever text rolls down to the next page or if I move it around it causes weird kinds of artifacting.

5. poisonmonkey macrumors newbie

If you're on a PB, iBook or using any LCD screen, it's because of the screen. All LCD screens have that problem. It is caused by the pixels turning on and off too slow...

Not too much to worry about....

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I just noticed a couple of files like that on my desktop. I certainly don't have any haxies or customisations on my machine. :D

Since all of these files have been sitting quite a long time, it's surprising that only two of them have residue.

GeForce 4MX here...anyone else using that card having the problem? Maybe it's only nVidia cards?

7. jelwell macrumors member

me too. I've had this problem since day one of upgrading to panther. :( very sad. my desktop is an eye sore because of it.
    joe.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If it was caused by the screen, then surely it wouldn't appear in the screenshot?

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

A restart had cleaned it away, but a day later, it's back.

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

Absolutely correct--you might see something like that on an LCD (an older one, anyway), but you're sure not going to be able to take a screenshot of it without a physical camera, which those obviously aren't taken with.

I've seen the same thing once in a while, but in my case just clicking on the icon or moving it a bit "cleans" the artifacts. It's not a biggie.

11. dermeister macrumors 6502

dermeister

Its simply a drawing bug in finder.app.

basically shadows are being drawn over and over without flushing what's under first.

It's not a big deal, should be fixed in future releases.