Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bali Cockfight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2002
Chi Town
I was enjoying my morning by listening to my iTunes and I decided to import a Shakira CD. After I imported the CD, I took it out. I clicked on a song I just imported and the computer froze and a grey translucent screen covered my Powerbook. It told me I needed to hold down my power button so it can restart. I did just that and it restarted. I am worried now. What happened?

I am using a 867 mhz PowerBook running 10.3.5. Thanks guys!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
its called a Kernel panic, many different things can cause them, im sure other people can tell you how to figure out what exactly caused it, im not too sure, sorry

Bali Cockfight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2002
Chi Town
PlaceofDis said:
its called a Kernel panic, many different things can cause them, im sure other people can tell you how to figure out what exactly caused it, im not too sure, sorry

Do you have some clue about what causes a "Kernel panic"?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
a kernel panic happens basically when your computer tires to do something, but then runs into a brick wall, as Mac Addict puts it

i dont know too much about Unix and the underpinnings of the OS as some on this board do, and i know a lot of things can cause kernel panics, but i have gotten one before because of an un-readable cd, if it becomes a chronic problem, then i would be very worried

lalcan

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2003
Left of the center
Shakira cd's have been known to produce random kernel panics, try listening to other artist or download the song from any online music store...

-- just kidding-- ;)

These are the most common causes for a kernel panic in my experience:
- Low Memory
- Java Software (might be because they use lots of memory...)
- Disconnecting a USB MSD in the middle of a transference

Try opening the Console program (it's in the Utilities Folder) and find the last entry from your last session (the one before the kernel panic) it might have some useful info.

Good luck!

Leo

Bali Cockfight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2002
Chi Town
lalcan said:
Shakira cd's have been known to produce random kernel panics, try listening to other artist or download the song from any online music store...

-- just kidding-- ;)

These are the most common causes for a kernel panic in my experience:
- Low Memory
- Java Software (might be because they use lots of memory...)
- Disconnecting a USB MSD in the middle of a transference

Try opening the Console program (it's in the Utilities Folder) and find the last entry from your last session (the one before the kernel panic) it might have some useful info.

Good luck!

Leo

thanks, this is what it said:

Oct 15 10:35:10 localhost kernel: disk1: I/O error.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Bali Cockfight said:
thanks, this is what it said:

Oct 15 10:35:10 localhost kernel: disk1: I/O error.

Looks like you had some kind of hard drive error reading, writing, or interface error. I'm not to sure about that though.

your kernel panic happened on October 15, at 10:35 AM to the user that was logged on, with your master hard drive.

EminenceGrise

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
musicpyrite said:
Looks like you had some kind of hard drive error reading, writing, or interface error. I'm not to sure about that though.
your kernel panic happened on October 15, at 10:35 AM to the user that was logged on, with your master hard drive.

Assuming no other disk devices were attached, /dev/disk1 would be the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM - /dev/disk0 is the hard drive. Darwin/Mac OS X is a little funky in that it does dynamic device numbering (devices can change numbers across boots, particularly with external drives present), but /dev/disk0 should always be the boot hard drive in 'normal' circumstances.

I think what happened is that the CD was ejected before a process was done with it. Normally the OS will lock the eject button so this can't happen, but in this case it appears it got confused about things and allowed the CD to be ejected before it should have. You got an I/O error because the CD wasn't in the drive when the kernel tried to access it later - then it panicked.

If you want to see how this should work, open a terminal and change to a directory on an inserted and mounted CD. Now try to eject the disk - you should get a message that the disk is in use, and can't be ejected. Change to a directory not on the CD, or close the terminal, and it should let you eject the disk.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
funny, dev/disk1 for me has always been my internal hard drive.

it's too freaking confusing when I need to do something with my iPod, or another external HD because the numbers are always changing! :mad:

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Kernel Panics can also be caused by bad RAM, or say a loose hard drive connection that keeps flaking out, both of which cause your computer to slam into a brick wall at a few hundred Mhz.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
One of Shakira's CD's was used to test a digital copywriting format supposedly to prevent it being read and copied on computers. It is possible this caused iTunes and the OS to have problems.
Then again it might just have been one of those things.

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
yeah…

it seems to me that UNIX is really crappy about that (at least the version of Darwin that X uses). and i hate to say this as much as i love UNIX and X, but PC's usually don't have a problem with a disc not being in the drive. a dialoge just pops up (or occasionally a blue screen) and says reinsert this disc or hit esc to cancel.

i think a source of mini-kernel panics (i.e. an app "Unexpectedly Quit"-ing) is division by zero (usually meaning the programmer was too lazy to error correct input) and seems to happen a lot on crappy ports and shareware. although i'm just guessing...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.