Weird - Haven't been charged for iPod Shuffle?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Shaun.P, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hey Guys,

I ordered an iPod Shuffle on the 7th February.

I checked my bank online and it said 'Balance: £150, Available Balance: £80'. Obviously the £70 of a difference is the iPod Shuffle I ordered.

Today (12th) I looked into my bank account - it says 'Balance: £150, Available Balance: £150'

It looks as if I have not been charged for the iPod Shuffle. I thought maybe Apple cancelled my ordered due to short supply or something. So I checked my ordered online, and it is still open, getting shipped on or before 28th of February.

I've received aknowledgement and confirmation emails from Apple.

When do they usually take the money out. Is this normal?

My question is, have I just got a free iPod?

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I think you can count on your balance being updated again once the iPod ships. Just make sure you leave enough money in your account to cover the cost of the iPod!

3. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

When you first order Apple freeze the cost for a few days to make sure you have the money to pay for it and not just clogging up the queue.
    They then release it until the it ships, when finally debit your account.
    Would have been nice tho :p

4. mpw Guest

Not so sure about Switch or other debit cards but with Credit Cards their not allowed to take the money until the product has shipped.
    Maybe it was due to ship but got delayed?

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No, afraid not.

They authorise your card to make sure that you have funds available (since the authorisation marks those funds as Apple's)

The authorisation has lapsed now which is why you are seeing the cash available to you again now. The money will come off again, for good, when the Shuffle ships out to you.

6. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Aww - there go my hopes. Im 17 - I have an excuse for being nieve :p

7. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hi, just to keep you up to date.

I got an email from Apple yesterday stating that the iPod Shuffle has been dispatched (11days early) and I should have it in 2-3 days. I have checked my bank, both yesterday and today and my balance/avaiable balance still hasn't been charged!

What's going on...basically I could take all the money out of my bank, right now, and still have the iPod shipped to me!

8. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

But you wouldnt, :p right?

9. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

My friend had a similar issue with a Dual G5. For some reason, it took Apple a couple of months to process the payment after the Mac had been shipped.

So, no, I very much doubt that you've got a free iPod! My advice would be to make sure the funds are available, because the transaction will be processed eventually. If you don't have enough money in your account to cover the purchase, you'll end up overdrawn. If you don't have an agreed overdraft facility on your account, you'll be charged a daily interest rate, and your iPod will end up costing you more than the ticket price.

10. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I'm only 17 the bank account I have cannot go overdrawn.

By law, there must be a maximum amount of time that they have to take the money, and after that period of time has elapsed, their claim becomes invalid?

11. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

I'm not sure about that, but maybe someone else can provide a definitive answer.

You say your bank account can't go overdrawn, but I doubt that very much. If you authorise a purchase, it's your responsibility to make sure that funds are available. You may not have an overdraft facility on your account, but that doesn't guard against an unauthorised overdraft.

In any event, call your bank with a hypothetical question and see what they say. I've a feeling that you'll be disappointed, as banks are notoriously unforgiving, even to 17 year-olds.

Aside from anything else, it's really not cool to knowingly defraud a person or company, much less to advertise your intentions on a public forum. You'll likely get far more enjoyment from your iPod knowing it's legit, than trying to pull a fast one and monitoring your bank account every other day.

12. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I wouldn't play games with this if I were you - even if you don't have an overdraft facility, you could be hit by some hefty charges if you don't have enough to cover the cost when (or if) it is charged. Banks just love this kind of thing since it gives them an opportunity to make money from those who can least afford it, and your credit score could be hit badly for when you need it in a couple of years.

Edit: of course, assuming that credit score in the UK is as important as in the US.