Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cabingirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
Hi all,

I just got a refurb 12" 1.33GHz iBook about three days ago. I'm seeing some weird behavior when I plug it in for charging. It happened while I was calibrating the battery and again now with the battery at about 40%.

When I first plug it in, the charging light glows green. When I close the lid, the charging light stays green. Also, the sleep light goes out completely. Every ten seconds or so, the sleep light turns on and cycles through one bright/dim cycle, the charging light flashes amber then green again, there is a clicking noise and the battery indicator light on the bottom of the ibook flashes. When I open the lid again, the screen goes on but it then goes out and into proper sleep mode with the sleep light working normally, and the charging light goes amber. I have to hit the enter key to wake it from sleep at this point. If I close the lid the cycle repeats.

I did calibrate the battery and I tried resetting the PMU. Sleep works fine when it's not plugged in.

Does anyone have any idea about this? Thanks!

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Sounds like it might be a logic board issue. The first time (of 3) that I had my PowerBook's LB replaced I had the exact same thing happen when charging. Eventually the light would just stay green even though my power was almost fully drained. Since you just bought it 3 days ago it should be covered under Apple's warranty - call them and politely ask them to replace or fix it.

cabingirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
It was the iSkin Protouch PB that caused it. It doesn't fit well on the left side of the keyboard (not totally square on the left edge) and it must have been pressing on one of the keys. I don't get why it only happened while it was on AC power but I am glad it's not the logic board :)

So - can I return the iSkin? I ordered it from the Apple Store online. I think you could argue that it's defective.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
If it was made to fit your computer, and is seated properly, then I would say it's defective. If they don't take it back, at least ebay it.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I've contemplated buying the iSkin keyboard protector, but when I look at it, I can tell that the escape key doesn't match up with the escape key on the iBook, so it's not worth my time.

ibidiem

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2005
Portland, OR
the iSkin doens't fit up exactly with the corners, but very well with everything between, et tu it eases my worries of spilling something warantee-voiding into the tender regions of my iBook, and plus it quietens my typing, which feels rather, I dunno, luxurious.

cabingirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
ibidiem said:
the iSkin doens't fit up exactly with the corners, but very well with everything between, et tu it eases my worries of spilling something warantee-voiding into the tender regions of my iBook, and plus it quietens my typing, which feels rather, I dunno, luxurious.

I really liked the idea of keeping my keyboard clean and safe from spills too, but I don't want to deal with it if it can't stay on when I close the lid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.