weird icons

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by rickvanr, Jan 15, 2004.

1. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

does anyone else have a bug in panther that if u have ur computer turned on for a long time, the icons start changing, getting all messes up, not even resembling icons anymore

the documents which icons are affecting still open in the correct programs, so its just a cosmetic issue. But an annoying one at that

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i've had that happen before. i can't remember how long the computer was up, but the "system" folder suddenly changed its icon view icon to that of an Excel file. but in the list view, the icon was some messed up thing...

what was even stranger was that it happened only in my account. under other accounts, folders looked fine.

just letting you know that i don't think your problem is an isolated one... (if that makes you feel any better...)

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

You should probably repair the disk permissions, this should be done every once in a while - icons being mismatched is a typical symptom. Go into your utilities folder (in the applications folder) start up disk utility, select your hard drive and click "repair disk permissions". Should take a couple of minutes, then your icons should be OK.

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

believe me, i run disk utillity quite often. but it happened, nonetheless...

it's generally a good idea to run it regularly, i agree.